Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge level jumped from 89 to 92 while car was parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day I charged my 75D to 89% at an urban SC.

Took it off the charger and left sentry mode on.

Came back to the charge being 92%.

So the car gained 3% while stationary and not charging.

How could this happen?

More or less the same happened to me twice (i think) recently.
It charge to 80% and i got the message it charged to 293 km, but when i later checked in the app and got to the car a few hours later it read 295 km, both on the car and the app.
I wouldn't exactly say the charge level jumped up or the car gained charge, i would say the charging reading changed. (for the better in this case)

Last edited:
I've seen the charge creep up after charging, but this was with the charger still connected. I believe it was some bug with the new scheduled departure feature, it would continue to trickle charge while the charger was still connected.

I've seen it happen on my car as well. It finished charging and then goes up a few miles in range. Teslafi has documented it for me a few times as well. It is normally followed by a slightly larger drop in range for me though. Why? I don't know. It's random and small enough for me not to really worry about it just yet.

The latest firmware has not been pushed to my car yet - I don't have the scheduled departure feature.

It's clearly not the battery charging without being plugged in (unless Tesla has built in some sleek and hidden solar panels they didn't tell anyone about).

Reading the charge level of a battery is fairly complex. It is basically trying to use the current voltage of the battery modules, combined with records of how much current it's tracked coming into and out of the battery, to estimate. What makes it hard is that batteries change over time, so the algorithm has to change with it. What alos makes it hard is hte battery is actually thousands of batteries.Tesla likely updates this algorithm occassionally, and perhaps the inputs changed slightly while the car was parked? Temperature change caused a voltage change? charge shifted around inside modules that were unevenly charged? who knows.

Seen it here also, with the HPWC stilled plugged in and the charging finished hours previous.

One other time after a short drive of 4 miles Started at say 192 traveled 4 miles, while driving it had not moved during that 4 miles it stayed at 192. Now the app is telling me one thing before I get in done charging 192 and the odo is telling me something else while driving 192 after 4 miles.

More or less the same happened to me twice (i think) recently.
It charge to 80% and i got the message it charged to 293 km, but when i later checked in the app and got to the car a few hours later it read 295 km, both on the car and the app.
I wouldn't exactly say the charge level jumped up or the car gained charge, i would say the charging reading changed. (for the better in this case)

It happened again.
I charged at night (9/12/19 to 10/12/19) and it charged to 296km (got the charging complete message on the app saying 296km), but in the morning both the car and the app showed 298km (something i hadn't seen at 80% a long time ago).

But this last night it charged just to 294km (got the charging complete message on the app saying 294km) and i never got up.
In the morning when i got into the car, both the car and the app showed 292km

I haven't touched the limit charger "lever" for more than a week, so this is all supposed to be 80% charge.

BTW this had never happened before until recently.

I've seen it happen once not even after charging. I drove somewhere, saw my miles go up by 1 or 2 miles just while parking out in the sun. I just assumed the car thought it was cold, but when the sun warmed it up, it figured it could go farther at that temperature, or the open circuit cell voltage raised due to temperature change.

Not something that would worry me at all. State of charge is an estimate after all.