Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Limit Exceeded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this happen last night. I charged up to 95% Sunday night for a road trip on Monday, then left it at 95% for the trip (only charged twice, briefly at a Chargepoint Level 2 and then at a Supercharger on the way home, to 95%). Last night I reset it to 80% before it started charging overnight. This am, the notification said it had charged to 92%. I double-checked the app, and it was set to stop at 80%. I've had it go over by a percent, but never 12%! I'm on 2021.24.11.
This is happening to me right now as well. It hadn't ever happened in the past. Are others experiencing this after 2021.32.22?

I have 2021.32.22 and it’s still happening to my 2020 LR Y.

I charge on a plain-old 110V outlet (since I don’t drive it much). I usually have my limit at 90% and I end up with 92-93% when I come back to it, so I’m lowering it to 85%.
A percent or two is normal as the battery gets warmer with rising ambient temperature. What the OP describes is excessive overcharging.

It is colder overnight and if you unplug exactly when charging completes then your percent SoC can still increase as the battery and garage get warmer. The opposite also holds true, your SoC will decrease as the temperature drops when you park a Tesla outdoors overnight. It is like the human body, your muscles work better when warm than cold.

Reactions: Rocky_H and DanDi58
I’m having the same issues after the latest update. Set the limit to 80% and then it charges overnight to 96%!
Is it some that can do harm or is just waiting for a bug fix in the next update??
Well, you should not let the car sit with a SOC more than 90% - I don't think it will do anything to the battery immediately, but generally, you should keep it below 90% for daily use, per Tesla's advice on battery longevity. When mine was charging over 90%, I either took the car out or let the HVAC run until it got back to 90% - I cranked the heat and turned on all of the seat heaters and wheel heater.

A percent or two is normal as the battery gets warmer with rising ambient temperature. What the OP describes is excessive overcharging.

It is colder overnight and if you unplug exactly when charging completes then your percent SoC can still increase as the battery and garage get warmer. The opposite also holds true, your SoC will decrease as the temperature drops when you park a Tesla outdoors overnight. It is like the human body, your muscles work better when warm than cold.
I’ll note that overcharging has not happened to me for the entire year I’ve had my MY (up until the last month or so), weather changes and all. Plus it’s been getting much colder at night where I live and park my car. So I feel pretty confident this is related.

I'm having the same issue as many of you. My 2021 MY charged fine every night for the past 8 months of ownership, often charging a few % over the limit but never more than 3-4%. Two weeks ago, we took the car on a long road trip and charged up to 100% several times (this was not our first road trip with the MY and we've never had these issues before). Every since returning home, the car charges up to about 90% every night, no matter where we set the limit. Last night I lowered the limit to 60% to see what would happen and woke up this morning to 87% SOC. I'm running 2021.32.21.

I put in a service request, but the first available time isn't until November. Hopefully someone else finds a solution before then!

I'm having the same issue as many of you. My 2021 MY charged fine every night for the past 8 months of ownership, often charging a few % over the limit but never more than 3-4%. Two weeks ago, we took the car on a long road trip and charged up to 100% several times (this was not our first road trip with the MY and we've never had these issues before). Every since returning home, the car charges up to about 90% every night, no matter where we set the limit. Last night I lowered the limit to 60% to see what would happen and woke up this morning to 87% SOC. I'm running 2021.32.21.

I put in a service request, but the first available time isn't until November. Hopefully someone else finds a solution before then!
We also had a road trip where we charged several times to a 100%….. from the netherlands to france and back and then to berlin, so a lot of supercharging and to 100%. Could it be that that sets it off?? Im also on 2021.32.21

M3 LD DM FSD. Similar issue after first long distance road trip. Traveled from Iowa to Maryland over three days with 7 charges at Superchargers above 90%. Car software version is 2021.32.22. I’ve used both the in car and app controls for adjusting the charge limit. I just noticed today that after setting the charge limit down to 65% the car has charged to 80%.

From the posts, it sounds like the in-car UI and mobile app UI are out-of-sync with the car’s true charging settings.

Does a reboot (not factory reset) help? Also play around with all of the UI. E.g. I set Scheduled Departure at 2pm once a few weeks ago and last week the in car climate control randomly said “Start at 2pm”. I had to repeatedly go through various settings to get it to clear.

I've noticed since upgrading to 2021.32.21 that while the car isn't charging way over the set limit any longer, it seems to shift the limit by a percent or two. I typically set it to 80% using the slider in the app but lately even when I can get it to exactly 80%, it seems to change to 79 or 81 over night. And the slider in the new app seems to resist actually, you know, sliding. Even when I use it on my iPad, much larger format, it's difficult to hit an exact number.

I've noticed that since one of the more recent updates (past month), my MY LR charges slightly beyond whatever limit I have set, but it appears to be happening following the initial charge. For example, yesterday after a long road trip, I arrived at my house at 12% and set the limit to 80%. It immediately started charging and reported completing about 5-6 hours later. Teslafi data confirms that it stopped at 80%. Teslafi then shows it sleeping with no additional activity, but today when I woke it up it was at 85%. I am using a recently purchased Tesla Wall Connector. The charging limit onboard and on the app is confirmed to be 80%. I did notice before it went to sleep and idled it did creep up 1-2%. Could it just be that it is recalibrating its actual SoC?

I'm not too worried about this since it's stopping within 5% but wanted to see if anyone else has experience this recently.
Same problem here. I charge on my home charger at night. I set my charge limit to 70% and I usually get around 74% charge. I’m on version 2021.36.5.1

While the 36.8 SW update seems to have fixed the large overcharging issue, I notice that almost every night the charge is off 1 or 2% from where I have it set (80%). Prior to the overcharging issue that caused me to start this thread, when I set the limit to 80%, it charged right to 80%. If I set it to 85%, it charged right to 85%. Now it's almost always a point or two off. Not a big deal, but certainly irritating. I wonder what changed.