Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge limit % moves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeeves

Feb 12, 2020
UK
I use the very fiddly slider on the iPhone app to set the charge limit to 80%. Afterwards, WatchApp for Tesla and ev.energy report the limit as being 80%.

After charging last night, the Tesla app now reports the charge limit as 79% whilst the other apps still report 80%.

I realise that it isn't going to impact my day in any significant way apart from the fact that it doesn't do my OCD much good.

Any way to fix it or is it just a bug somewhere?

I use the very fiddly slider on the iPhone app to set the charge limit to 80%. Afterwards, WatchApp for Tesla and ev.energy report the limit as being 80%.

After charging last night, the Tesla app now reports the charge limit as 79% whilst the other apps still report 80%.

I realise that it isn't going to impact my day in any significant way apart from the fact that it doesn't do my OCD much good.

Any way to fix it or is it just a bug somewhere?
I find it more awkward too now. Oddly, the slider on the app on mine won't go higher than 98% a lot of the time.

Reactions: init6
I assumed that although the limit says %, if you have the car showing range in miles, then it just adapts to a percentage of that. When this number changes with outside air temperature / battery temperature / phase of the moon / radio station / favourite colour etc then that's reflected in the app with the target changing.

I find the same, but then the next day or two it might randomly go back to 80 or 90. Its very weird, and as a fellow OCD sufferer, I feel your pain.

I just try to compartmentalise it in the same realm as sometimes when its set to 80 it will stop charging at 79 due to temperature variances and such, so in my mind, thats all it is ;)

It messes with my OCD too. The old app, although fiddly, at least you could set a round number % after a couple of attempts. With this latest one you think you have more control but I've seen the charge limit change +/- 2% after I've set it, and sometimes while it's charging, apparently randomly.

As you say it really messes with my zen.

Is this really a thread?

Attachments

• 646C2C6F-3883-423E-84F1-AA2064301B31.jpeg
    646C2C6F-3883-423E-84F1-AA2064301B31.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 614
Cold battery. It shows the nominal percentage as long as the battery is warm enough. The colder it gets, the lower it goes. It probably reflects the unavailable part of the battery charge due to low temperature.

That's my best guess. I have no precise information. I observe, however, that it only happens when it gets cold.

Reactions: Adopado
The charge % in the app is usable energy so will fluctuate with various things like temperature. Some third party apps may show nominal % and some, like TeslaFi will show both - TeslaFi shows the usable energy/% in blue annotated as cold. It’s often easy to see if this is the case if you slide charge limit towards 100%. If you get less than 100%, then it’s the usable discrepancy.

Also I have noticed charge limit bouncing around during early stages when supercharging.

And app has always been hit and miss when setting an absolute limit with my fat fingers. Which is why, along with first explanation, that I prefer to use TeslaFi to set charge limit.

The charge % in the app is usable energy so will fluctuate with various things like temperature. Some third party apps may show nominal % and some, like TeslaFi will show both - TeslaFi shows the usable energy/% in blue annotated as cold. It’s often easy to see if this is the case if you slide charge limit towards 100%. If you get less than 100%, then it’s the usable discrepancy.

Also I have noticed charge limit bouncing around during early stages when supercharging.

And app has always been hit and miss when setting an absolute limit with my fat fingers. Which is why, along with first explanation, that I prefer to use TeslaFi to set charge limit.
If you twist the tip of your finger when setting the limit in the app it’s easier to be accurate. Just…

Reactions: Adopado