Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Limit or Not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit that after a few days of ownership I'm confused as to whether there is really a charge rate limit in the MS or not. I had previously understood that Tesla had introduced a software limit in the charge rate and that on a 11Kw, 16A charge point, the Tesla would only draw 13A. Equally, on a 22Kw, 32A charger, it would only draw 26A.

However, I have a 22Kw charge point at home and my MS only gets 24A from it. Initially I thought that was evidence of the aforementioned limit. But today we went for a walk on the beach at Westkapelle in Zeeland. I hooked up to a public Type 2 11Kw charge point on the Abraham Calandplein and was very surprised to discover that my MS charged at 16A, 50Km/hr.

So does anyone know what the reality is?

Rob.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385315798.799198.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385315798.799198.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 699
I have to admit that after a few days of ownership I'm confused as to whether there is really a charge rate limit in the MS or not. I had previously understood that Tesla had introduced a software limit in the charge rate and that on a 11Kw, 16A charge point, the Tesla would only draw 13A. Equally, on a 22Kw, 32A charger, it would only draw 26A.

However, I have a 22Kw charge point at home and my MS only gets 24A from it. Initially I thought that was evidence of the aforementioned limit. But today we went for a walk on the beach at Westkapelle in Zeeland. I hooked up to a public Type 2 11Kw charge point on the Abraham Calandplein and was very surprised to discover that my MS charged at 16A, 50Km/hr.

So does anyone know what the reality is?

Rob.
With a dual charger on board you should be able to charge with 16A.

No. Swallowed the bitter pill and upgraded the house supply to 35A.
Hm, I would try the following:
  1. Test your Tesla with an other Tesla owner who does get 26A. Your welcome to test it at my charger in Rijswijk but you might find someone closer. If you stil get 24A you know to contact Tesla
  2. Have an other Tesla owner test on your charger. If he also get's only 24A contact your chargingstation supplier.
  3. I asume you did not only try it with a full battery. Maybe that is of influence as well.

For European charging, have you guys put together a wiki or anything to collate the information being gathered? I can speak reasonably intelligently about the North American charging story but I'm somewhat useless on the European. As someone who strives to be at least a decent advocate for Tesla when there are visitors from Europe, it would be great to have somewhere to learn about these details and/or provide a link to such visitors.

Thanks!

I contacted the supplier of my charge point and they reconfigured it. It should now deliver 32A, except I'll now hit the Tesla charge rate limit.

I'm left wondering how those people fair who do not read the forums and are not technical enough to question what's going on. I could imagine that there're people out there stuck charging at 24A without realising that it's a charge point config problem.

Thanks for the help.

The Tesla 3x 26A (instead of the advertised 3x 32A) software 5.8 limitation does not only hit loadtime with a 20% increase.
In Holland you pay a fixed fee per capacity. The 3x 25A on the pace list cost € 14 per month. The 3x 35A cost € 74 per month.
If the the software limitation reduce the juice from 3x32A to 3x26A, downgrading will be a serious option. However, you pay a charge per up/downgrade.
Therefore I hope Tesla can give some insight in timings and the progress being made.