Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Limit Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New P85+ owner here. Sorry if this has been answered before.

I used full range charge for a road trip recently and between HPWC (at home), Supercharger, and Blink (on the go) at no time in the process did I see the charge go above 267. iPhone app showed "charged" at that number and I'm assuming it stopped charging when it hit that. I would have thought it would let me go all the way to 300 (albeit slowly).

Similarly for day to day driving I have the charge limit set to the threshold marker on the touch screen and I haven't seen the charge limit go above 234. Again iPhone app shows charged when it hits that number. I would have thought it would be closer to 250?

What am I missing here.

thanks!

I used full range charge for a road trip recently and between HPWC (at home), Supercharger, and Blink (on the go) at no time in the process did I see the charge go above 267. iPhone app showed "charged" at that number and I'm assuming it stopped charging when it hit that. I would have thought it would let me go all the way to 300 (albeit slowly).

Similarly for day to day driving I have the charge limit set to the threshold marker on the touch screen and I haven't seen the charge limit go above 234. Again iPhone app shows charged when it hits that number. I would have thought it would be closer to 250?

What am I missing here.

thanks!

300 is in ideal miles. Do you have it set to display rated miles, instead? I think rated is the default.

1. The 300 is based on Ideal rather than Rated range. If you switch the display to Ideal it will be around 300. However, for most folks Ideal isn't all that useful so the Model S defaults to Rated.

2. Tesla changes the "daily" limit with every release (at least it seems that way).

3. SOC (state of charge) numbers are always just an estimate.

Looks like you have chosen to display "actual" miles (the 265 mile range that the gov says Tesla has under normal driving conditions) instead of "ideal" miles (the 300 miles that Tesla says you can get under ideal conditions). You can change from actual to ideal display on your control screen "settings". Does not change ability to drive a certain distance, simply displays a different number for estimated miles of range.

If you drive easy on a trip, let cruise do the work, slow down, you can get 300 miles per charge. I set my display to 300 because it's more what I do.

But, if you like to fly, do lots of freeways in the fast lane, love to punch it, you'd get a more accurate range display with the 265 mile range estimate. Maybe even less than 265. Some say driving "normal" like that, you might only get 200 miles per charge.

Your Mileage May Vary. Just like it does in a gas car, but nobody keeps track of it there because there is so much waste.

khans;536215 Similarly for day to day driving I have the charge limit set to the threshold marker on the touch screen and I haven't seen the charge limit go above 234. ![/QUOTE said:
Why are you charging to the limit? The consensus is that routine daily high SOC (state of charge) is bad for the battery. If you read through the threads on charging, you will note that most owners will plug in at night and charge only for what is needed the next day. I doubt that you drive 175 to 200 miles on a daily basis, so why charge to 234? I believe most folks are happy with an SOC of 50-60% for routine daily runs which means charging only to 150-160 miles.

Last edited: