Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge limit to 80% vs 90%. Will 90% significantly degard battery capacity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference in battery degradation between routinely charging to 80 vs 90% is very, very small. 90% is better from a brick balancing perspective. If you want piece of mind, definitely do it. The very small difference in battery life is not worth the stress!

Reactions: dhrivnak
I have been charging to 90% for over 2 years and 42,000 miles. A 90% charge this morning was 282 or 3 more than when I first got the car.

I've been charging to 90% for almost two years and around 35,000 miles. A 90% charge is now 258 miles, or like 30 less than when I got the car. Last summer I was seeing around 275 at 90% and was relatively happy... silly me.

Many people mistake a lower range indication for battery degradation. It can be attributed to loss of battery capacity, but it may also be a sign the Battery Management System needs a better calibration or the battery bricks are out of balance.

If these are new concepts for you, here’s a little more detail explaining the cause and remedy to restore your range indication.

Tesla Official Statement on Range

Charge limit to 80% vs 90%. Will 90% significantly degard battery capacity ? Would love to charge up to 90% all the time at home to have peace of mind on range but not sure how significantly will it degard battery capacity and life ?

I've been through 3 different Tesla models since 2012 for the past 8 years and I have put them at 90% nightly unless I need to go for a road trip then 100%.

I sold my 2012 Model S 85 in 2018 at almost 100,000 miles after 6 years and got 252.54 miles out of 285 specified fully-charged miles or a loss of 32.46 miles or 11.39%.

4NLWBP7.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
The biggest factor in battery degradation is the Tesla Battery Lottery. Many of us have babysitted our batteries and they have degraded 7~10% in less than 10K miles just because.
Where is the data that supports that it was real degradation and not BMS calibration error or brick balance? I babied my battery last summer and saw the range show a 10% loss. It’s now at 5% after some deep cycles and higher charging.

If you trust Elon, he recommends 80% vs. 90% when discussing health: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/448466037441179649?lang=en
Note that his other statements (like "90% to 95% is fine") are responses to different questions, like getting the maximum range on a daily basis.

If you trust "battery people", they will also recommend lower SoC where practical (but probably above 60%).

If you trust many "Tesla people", 90% vs 80% doesn't matter and you should just live your life (though there's a lot less data on this specifically).

Going forward my rule will basically be 90% in Winter (because I use more energy), 80% in Summer, and maybe 90% in times I remember to give myself a bit more charge before doing a round trip that's semi-local.

The lower you go the better. Tesla says it themselves.

Tesla said:
To maintain service life, the battery pack should be stored at a state of charge (SOC) of 15 to 50%.

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=49402&flag=1

Having said that, you'll likely see the greatest benefit on the top as opposed to on the bottom. So going from 90% to 80% will be more beneficial than going from 60% to 50%.

Something else to consider is that pack degradation as a function of state of charge (SoC) tends to show up much later in life.

There will likely be minimal differences in capacity/lifespan between a battery charged to 60% and a battery charged to 90% up until there isn't, at which point the pack charged to a higher SoC will degrade significantly and the pack charged to a lower SoC will continue to see modest degradation for a longer period of time.

https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy13osti/58550.pdf (page 7)

At this point where don't know where that difference is. Odds are it's north of 200k miles like it is with the S/X, but we don't have enough data yet to say for certain.

Charge limit to 80% vs 90%. Will 90% significantly degard battery capacity ? Would love to charge up to 90% all the time at home to have peace of mind on range but not sure how significantly will it degard battery capacity and life ?

What kind of "peace of mind"? Do you use 80% on your daily drives? Chargers around to use in an overextended pinch? You have been a member since 12/19. Don't know how long you have had the car but you must have some sense of the energy you need for your daily needs. Adjust accordingly. And have a backup plan.:)