Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Limit Warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got into my car this morning to begin my 190+ mile daily commute and the following "Warning" appeared on my screen:

"Charging repeatedly beyond daily driving needs will shorten battery life. Would you like to lower the charge limit?"

I charge to 90%, which typically leaves 30-40 miles in reserve at the end of the day, which seems like a reasonable number to me. This leaves me wondering whether Tesla is suggesting I should be trying to cut it a little closer and charge to 80%, or perhaps everyone who charges to 90% is getting this warning?

This warning should only appear if you charge above the daily limit line. If you charge at or below the line it shouldn't appear and you should contact service.

What's funny about that is, according to Elon, there is nothing we can do (I include charging every day to 100% as "nothing") that will truly hurt the battery, hence the unlimited mileage warranty.

Sometimes I have a hard time parsing Elon's comments with corporate policy or my cars complaints lol

There's a difference between hurting (i.e. actual damage), and hastening the natural degradation curve all Li-ion cells experience.

The infinite warranty covers the former, not the latter.

There's a difference between hurting (i.e. actual damage), and hastening the natural degradation curve all Li-ion cells experience.

The infinite warranty covers the former, not the latter.

I agree. If you read the warranty, it very clearly does not cover degradation. It also says that if your battery fails, they will replace it with a refurbished battery that had similar wear on it at the time just prior to failure -- so if you beat the hell out of your battery and get it to 50% of it's original life, you are probably not going to get a brand new 100% life battery. That said, it seems like you would have to try fairly hard to beat the hell out of your battery to that degree. If you wanted to do that, it would probably involve leaving the car parked in a very hot place (say, outdoors in Nevada or Arizona in the Summer), holding a charge at 100%, and never driving the car.

What's funny about that is, according to Elon, there is nothing we can do (I include charging every day to 100% as "nothing") that will truly hurt the battery, hence the unlimited mileage warranty.

Sometimes I have a hard time parsing Elon's comments with corporate policy or my cars complaints lol

Range loss is not covered under the warranty. Charging to 100% repeatedly and for long periods of time will result in premature and higher range loss over time. If that were to occur, you'll be SOL on the warranty because a degraded battery is not a defective battery.

Got into my car this morning to begin my 190+ mile daily commute and the following "Warning" appeared on my screen:

"Charging repeatedly beyond daily driving needs will shorten battery life. Would you like to lower the charge limit?"

I charge to 90%, which typically leaves 30-40 miles in reserve at the end of the day, which seems like a reasonable number to me. This leaves me wondering whether Tesla is suggesting I should be trying to cut it a little closer and charge to 80%, or perhaps everyone who charges to 90% is getting this warning?

If you need that much range daily, you will hasten degredation given the full cycles you are using but I wouldn't fret about it. It's not ideal for the battery but on the other hand you're getting good use out of your car and I doubt the degredation will be too significant. The warning is for people who don't need that much but don't realize they have their charging limit set wrong. The best you can do is to time the charging so it reaches what you need just before you leave and does not sit at a high rate of charge for extended periods of time. It's also probably better to leave your 30 - 40 mile buffer given unexpected things that can happen on your commute, plus draining the battery lower is also not good.

Last edited:
Your slider is probably set just above 90%. Just bring it down a notch.

Having read this, and basically fooling with that slider for really the first time today got me a little confused.

First of all, is there any good reason Tesla doesn't show numbers on there? (10%, 50%, 90%, etc.?)

Anyway, there are those little white lines showing the highpoint of the daily range and the lowpoint of the trip range, and I was stressing over which one I was setting the slider on. Eventually I realized (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) that basically both those lines are at 90%, and would be considered the daily range. To get into the trip range it appears the slider really only stops at 95% or 100%. (So I didn't have to be concerned that I was setting it, inadvertently, to 91% and would then get the warning discussed above.) The slider can only be set in 5% increments, right? So when andrewket wrote "just above 90%", he might have more accurately written (not complaining, Andrew...just clarifying) "at 95%."

Right?

Thanks!

Having read this, and basically fooling with that slider for really the first time today got me a little confused.

First of all, is there any good reason Tesla doesn't show numbers on there? (10%, 50%, 90%, etc.?)

Anyway, there are those little white lines showing the highpoint of the daily range and the lowpoint of the trip range, and I was stressing over which one I was setting the slider on. Eventually I realized (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) that basically both those lines are at 90%, and would be considered the daily range. To get into the trip range it appears the slider really only stops at 95% or 100%. (So I didn't have to be concerned that I was setting it, inadvertently, to 91% and would then get the warning discussed above.) The slider can only be set in 5% increments, right? So when andrewket wrote "just above 90%", he might have more accurately written (not complaining, Andrew...just clarifying) "at 95%."

Right?

Thanks!

You can set it in 1% increments using other tools such as Visible tesla. I didn't know if you were using them. I've set it to 91% accidentally before.

You can set it in 1% increments using other tools such as Visible tesla. I didn't know if you were using them. I've set it to 91% accidentally before.

Thanks!

I am among those that can on longer log in to Visible Tesla. And by "no longer", as that applies to me, it means I never got to.

I hadn't tried to before I had an active car, because when I tried to log into the Tesla app without an active car I was not able to even log in. Perhaps I would have been able to log in to Visible Tesla. But the point is moot, as apparently my account must be set up on the wrong Tesla server to be able to log in now. I'm kinda bummed about that, but perhaps Tesla will change something and make Visible Tesla and other third party access available again at some point.