Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge limit [why is my car charging to slightly higher than the set charge limit?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T

tony26

I have my Model 3 long range set to charge to 70 percent, but I've been noticing it now charges to 71 or 72 percent daily. It's been very hot in CA the last week or so, could this have something to do with it? It's never really done this before that's why I was wondering. Not a big deal, but I was just curious.

Short answer: normal. Estimating total battery capacity and current battery state of charge is difficult and it's just that, an estimate. The BMS might recalculate after the charge and arrive at another number. Temperature changes can also affect this estimate. I regularly come back to my car having either 2-3% more or 2-3% less than my target charge, depending on the time of year. Many others have reported similar things here on the forum. Your car is not "charging to the wrong target".

Reactions: DrChaos and Rocky_H
It also seems to happen if the HVAC comes on (either because of cabin overheat protection or remotely turning it on) after you've reached your charge level. It turns on the on-board charger to run the AC off of, and seems to charge the battery a bit while doing so.