TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Charge Limit will be Restricted

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by wcfinvader, Apr 5, 2017.

1. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

tmp_13367-signal-2017-04-05-2017381403873866.jpg

Anyone have a clue what this means. Wife got this message after she dropped me off at work. I'm awaiting road service to call me back. The car will not charge now. Thankfully she made it home.

2. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

Road Service said it is a issue with the main battery. Failure results in Tesla using their logistics team to take car to nearest service center (Kansas City). They were unsure if we would get a loaner. I will find more out tomorrow.

This would be the second battery Failure we've had since we adopted this car. First one resulted in them sending the battery to Freemont for a blown Fuse in the main battery pack. I'm hopeful it doesn't get sent there again.

• Informative x 2
  3. Tam

Tam Active Member

Sorry to hear about battery issues second time. Hope there won't be a third time.

4. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

I got home and now after sitting over night it charged from 33 miles to 74 miles. I set the charge limit to 80% and to my surprise it starts charging and 10 minutes later is still charging. I called the Service Center and they are looking into it. The plan originally was for a Tesla Tech to drive up here and tow ours back down. They aren't expected to call back until the afternoon....right when I should be in deep sleep but I will update once I have more info.

The alert is gone btw this morning.

5. kort677

kort677 Banned

regardless of it appearing to be ok I would get this car into the service center immediately before you are out somewhere and it acts up again and stranding you.

• Like x 3
  6. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

I recieved the call that they will bring us a loaner and at that time tow this one. They will be giving us a loaner pack and once again be sending ours to Fremont. I asked about a quote on a 100 kwh upgrade. He said he doesn't think its possible but he will check in on it. They remotely diagnosed it and saw that some cells have a lower charge than other cells. It charged to 80% today. He said not to drive in despite it not showing any alerts to us visually. He said that it could fail severely and leave me stranded. I'm hopeful we can just get the battery upgrade we were wanting but time will tell.

7. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I would count my blessings!! It's nice of them to give u a loaner car...

If u can get them to swing a 100D upgrade that will be even more impressive.

Can't wait to hear how this turns out!!

8. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

My request for a 100 kWh pack upgrade was rejected. They were supposed to put a loaner pack in yesterday and when they did they discovered a fault in the loaner pack so now we have to wait till they get another one from California which they expect to get next week. They are allowing us keep the loaner vehicle till then.

As a side note does Tesla do inspections and maintenance on their loaner? The one we have is a P85 and it has a very loud drive unit, the back speakers don't work, and it's in need of an alignment. I talked to the ranger and he told me to put that info in the comments section of the survey we will get once we have our car back.

I will post another update when I know more but it could be a month or two before we have our original pack back.

9. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I've found both times I test drove, the loaners were in rough shape compared to my Tesla — pronounced wind noise, sometimes a speaker is broken or emitting noise, etc. I try to let them know, but yeah, it sure seems like it happens at least sometimes.

10. Naonak

Naonak Member

Wow, I had this same thing happen to me (here in KC) on my 2012 two weeks ago. I took my car in to the SC here and they gave me a loaner pack and said it would be a few months before I get my pack back... so I'm (well, my wife) is driving around on the loaner pack now.

The good news is, it looks like I will be getting an E back pack! At least according to the paperwork.

• Like x 1
  11. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

E pack? Any major revisions? I'm unsure what pack version we even had. Was yours new then?

12. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

You had a D based on delivery date. E packs are basically redesigned D packs to work in dual motor cars, but they work for single motors as well.

13. PatrickCH4313

PatrickCH4313 Member

The 7 digit of your VIN code is your Battery type (E or D).

• Disagree x 1
  14. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Having gone through a failing/replacement pack myself just a bit ago I'll be interested in how this works out for you....

As an aside, I also got a replacement drive unit, and while the bearing whine is now gone, the backlash in my replacement is more pronounced....

15. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

If the 7th letter in my VIN is an "E" (5YJSA1E) but my battery sticker part # is 1086755-00-D
    What battery revision DO I have?

16. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I don't think that is true, that used to represent the battery size, but once Tesla went to software locked batteries they just made that digit an E for Electric on all cars. (At least that is my understanding, so an E means something different on old cars than it does on new cars.)

• Like x 3
  17. PatrickCH4313

PatrickCH4313 Member

The piece of information which may have some potential value is the model of the battery indicated by the last letter trailing the part number. In your case you have the “D” battery pack. (Have you got a new Battery Pack ?)

18. MrRandyB

MrRandyB Member

For all models, effective 1 August 2015:
    E = Electric

19. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

Is an H pack better than a D pack in terms of supercharging speeds?

20. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Some people balance their batteries one or two times yearly by charging to 100%, and then driving within a few minutes after the charging session completes. You may want to try that, although there are others here who say this should never be needed. Even though I agree with them, I still balance my battery once a year just in case.