Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Tesla model 3 (2018) and gen 3 wall connector. I noticed my car not charging at full speed this week and have tried troubleshooting by turning off and on breaker connected to wall connector, resetting M3, turning down amps on car then turn back up to 48a.

I’m not sure what else to trial, but seems to coincide with most recent update (2022.40.4) I did earlier this week.

Wall connector on a 60 amp breaker and was drawing 48a fine for the last 1.5 years. Anyone else running into this issue or know what to do to troubleshoot further?

Assuming that this is not temperature related and didn't happen above 95% SoC you might have a problem with the on-board charger. There are three of them, each of which runs at up to 16 A. If two of them fail you'd be limited to 16 A. Sounds unlikely though that two units fail at the same time.

Maybe it's worth taking a look at the settings of your WC to see if it's still set to a breaker size of 60 A (charging at up to 48 A).

Other than that I agree with @VT_EE. Go try a different charging station first before you contact a SC.

Upvote 0
Assuming that this is not temperature related and didn't happen above 95% SoC you might have a problem with the on-board charger. There are three of them, each of which runs at up to 16 A. If two of them fail you'd be limited to 16 A. Sounds unlikely though that two units fail at the same time.

Maybe it's worth taking a look at the settings of your WC to see if it's still set to a breaker size of 60 A (charging at up to 48 A).

Other than that I agree with @VT_EE. Go try a different charging station first before you contact a SC.

Upvote 0

It occurred multiple times this week charging between 50 and 70% SoC. Breaker and wires are fine. Was working for the past 1.5 years without issue. WC is set to provide 48a. When plugged in car recognizes there is a limitation and only 16/48a are being received.

I haven’t tried another charger yet. Would going to a super charger help determine issue. Not sure if it’s an AC vs DC charging issue.

Happened recently so it seems related to an update to me, since nothing else has changed. I’ll try another charger today

Upvote 0
Sounds like maybe PCS failure?

Upvote 0
It occurred multiple times this week charging between 50 and 70% SoC. Breaker and wires are fine. Was working for the past 1.5 years without issue. WC is set to provide 48a. When plugged in car recognizes there is a limitation and only 16/48a are being received.

I haven’t tried another charger yet. Would going to a super charger help determine issue. Not sure if it’s an AC vs DC charging issue.

Happened recently so it seems related to an update to me, since nothing else has changed. I’ll try another charger today
DC charging won’t tell you anything since it bypasses the onboard chargers. You need to test at a level 2 A\C EVSE.

Upvote 0
Sounds like maybe PCS failure?

Those symptoms sound like a PCS failure to me as well, especially since the wall connector has been functional for quite some time, and is not a new install.

OP I would recommend putting in for service ASAP, with a picture of the 16/48 charge rate, and adding the detail that the wall connector is not a new install, and turning up the amps in the app either sporadically works or doesnt work (whichever it is).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
thanks for all your help guys!
Sorry for the delay in update:
1) tried multiple levels 2 charges 16a is max
2) had another Tesla charge at my home 48a no problem
3) scheduled a repair at service center.

My quote is $1600!!! Is this not covered under warranty? For those that did have this covered, is there anything I need to to different to have this covered?

Upvote 0
thanks for all your help guys!
Sorry for the delay in update:
1) tried multiple levels 2 charges 16a is max
2) had another Tesla charge at my home 48a no problem
3) scheduled a repair at service center.

My quote is $1600!!! Is this not covered under warranty? For those that did have this covered, is there anything I need to to different to have this covered?
It's covered under the 4yr/50K bumper to bumper, but not the longer HV battery warranty. One member has filed for arbitration on the subject trying to get it covered, but I don't expect him to succeed. It's been said several times on the forum, it's important to test your car's charging system at it's max rate before the warranty expires.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Bessy
Upvote 0