Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Place Scotland Tariffs by Council

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Many believe that Charge Place Scotland (CPC) offer free charging nationwide, unfortunately that's not the case. Individual councils have the power to introduce tariffs for electric vehicle charging and so far 12 out of 32 appear to have done so.

I asked CPC to provide me with a breakdown of costs by council and they just directed me to the map:

Live Map - ChargePlace Scotland

Spend a few minutes on the map and you'll wish you hadn't. It's really hard to see the difference between fees in different areas so I've put together this sheet by visiting each of the councils websites:

Open in google sheets

I'll keep this updated should I become aware of price changes or introduction of pricing. If you have any local knowledge or can spot any issues with the sheet please post here and I'll update it. Many councils had no reference of the search terms 'ev charging', 'electric vehicle', 'vehicle charging' so in some cases I haven't been able to provide a source.

What astounds me are the variances between the councils. Some have varying rates for AC/DC, some combine the usage rates with a minimum fee or connection fee and some even have varying minimum/connection fees depending on using fast or slow chargers! I wish it would be simpler.

Update:
ChargePlace Scotland have introduced a list of Charge Point Tariffs since I posted this thread. This is worth checking as it includes tariffs for individual charge points that vary from the council area that they are located in

Last edited:
Thanks, Just tried to embed it using:

Code:
[gs]2PACX-1vSBMrPmf1VR0q1ox1qJ7SR6hTn-Vw3t_jHpN_aEzUMpk_gC8AhWSs4Ct7O-WR1hdlg3upaDgPjdzzh_[/gs]

The entire publish to web url is:

Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSBMrPmf1VR0q1ox1qJ7SR6hTn-Vw3t_jHpN_aEzUMpk_gC8AhWSs4Ct7O-WR1hdlg3upaDgPjdzzh_/pubhtml

But it's showing as the web page not being available.

Any thoughts?

BB Code Enhancements - BBCode - Embed Google Documents Collection (BB Code) - vBulletin.org Forum suggests getting ID from share/embed.

Maybe @doug has some ideas, as it appears a few of the BB codes are broken like the [MAP}

Last edited:
Very useful, thanks. Note that Aberdeenshire charges don’t start until 4th January so you still have a short while to get your “fuel” for free as I did in Banchory today! Can’t see me using the car much for a while now though.
Thanks, I was going to add a column to include when the charges started from but it seemed only Aberdeenshire had anything pending so didn't bother.

Many believe that Charge Place Scotland (CPC) offer free charging nationwide, unfortunately that's not the case. Individual councils have the power to introduce tariffs for electric vehicle charging and so far 11 out of 32 appear to have done so.

I asked CPC to provide me with a breakdown of costs by council and they just directed me to the map:

Live Map - ChargePlace Scotland

Spend a few minutes on the map and you'll wish you hadn't. It's really hard to see the difference between fees in different areas so I've put together this sheet by visiting each of the councils websites:

Open in google sheets

I'll keep this updated should I become aware of price changes or introduction of pricing. If you have any local knowledge or can spot any issues with the sheet please post here and I'll update it. Many councils had no reference of the search terms 'ev charging', 'electric vehicle', 'vehicle charging' so in some cases I haven't been able to provide a source.

What astounds me are the variances between the councils. Some have varying rates for AC/DC, some combine the usage rates with a minimum fee or connection fee and some even have varying minimum/connection fees depending on using fast or slow chargers! I wish it would be simpler.

Great post!

Falkirk council have just announced an introduction of charges from 19th April. £0.25 per kWh with a min charge of £1.00.

I've updated the google sheet.

1618243366877.png

City of Glasgow starting to charge from May / June.
Thanks for that, seems they'll be the first to charge for overstays?

The rates will be 16p per kilowatt-hour (kWh) for slow (7kW) and fast (22kW) chargers and 20p per kWh for rapid (50kW) units.

An overstay fee of £1 per minute, which will be charged once a driver is over 15 minutes late returning to their car, was also agreed by councillors.

I'll wait for the notification from Charge Place Scotland then will update the google sheet with pricing.

I wonder if there is any evidence that the introduction of charges by various Councils is funding an improvement in maintenance and speed of repair to faulty chargers. If it is then great.
If it's anything like the roads in the highlands, no, not a chance. The council said at the free rate it was costing them £50,000 a year, so with the charges, I guess maybe they'll break even?

The Falkirk hub had tumbleweed rolling through it when I passed today. In my opinion, the charges are excessive and nobody seems to be using them since the charge was brought in. Surely a fairer tarrif would have been more beneficial to them as folk would still use the chargers, and still allow the council to bring in some revenue. And then there's the solar canopy that a lot of sites don't have, surely that would have allowed them to reduce the tarrif at the hub at least, if not the rest of Falkirk Councils chargers.

Highland Council update
Dear Chris,

We are writing to inform you that as of Tuesday 1st June, the Highland Council will be introducing a tariff of £0.30 per kWh for charging units with an output of 43kW and higher, and £0.20 per kWh for units with an output of 22kW and lower. A minimum charge of £1.00 will apply for each charging session.

Access a list of the charge points this tariff will apply to

The Highland Council has taken a decision to introduce a charging tariff to cover the costs of operating the electric vehicle chargers they own. The approach is designed to enable the Council to support and maintain the service offered, and encourage best practice amongst users at charge points.

Read the full press release here

Please note, this tariff will only apply to the charge points owned by the Highland Council. If you would like to check charging tariffs for any other chargers on the ChargePlace Scotland network, you can find this information on our Live Map.

Made a few updates to the tariffs to account for the new charges that @imstitch highlighted for Highlands council and @Empato highlighted for Falkirk council.

@Alan J Nothing official yet about City of Glasgow from Charge Place Scotland so wonder if that's been delayed?

I've added an effective date column to the sheet so that the new tariffs can be recorded when advised, rather than waiting until the date the charges actually come in. Some of the dates are unknown as I think the CPS announcements only started around a year ago.

As always, this data is my best understanding from scraping the internet and using various sources, if you see anything that's wrong let me know and I'll update.