Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Place Scotland Tariffs by Council

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Falkirk hub had tumbleweed rolling through it when I passed today. In my opinion, the charges are excessive and nobody seems to be using them since the charge was brought in. Surely a fairer tarrif would have been more beneficial to them as folk would still use the chargers, and still allow the council to bring in some revenue. And then there's the solar canopy that a lot of sites don't have, surely that would have allowed them to reduce the tarrif at the hub at least, if not the rest of Falkirk Councils chargers.

According to Charge Place Scotland, the Falkirk hub is the most popular charging hub in Scotland!

Coming in at 1st place, the most popular charging hub in April was the Falkirk Stadium Charging Hub. Located at Falkirk Stadium in Falkirk, this hub is made up of 5x 50kW units and 8x 22kW units.

The Falkirk Stadium Charging Hub has been open since March 2020, and generates over 30% of the required electricity to power the facility from its own solar canopy made up by 1272 panels covering an area of over 2,000sqm, saving 75 tonnes of carbon per year. It also has three designated bays for blue-badge holders and marks the beginning of the Electric A9, which will host a series of charging hubs across the longest road in Scotland, to build range confidence in driving electric6.

This charging hub was used 1,188 times in April 2021 and delivered a total of 24,856kWh.

And, while the Lochee Street charging hub was used more often in April 2021, the Falkirk Stadium charging hub was used by more drivers – 174 compared to 100 – making it the most popular charging hub in Scotland.

City of Glasgow new charge rates started yesterday (but I don't have permission to update the sheet)

16p/kWh for 22kw and under chargers
20p/kWh for >22kw chargers.

That slow rate charger cost is pretty reasonable.

City of Glasgow new charge rates started yesterday (but I don't have permission to update the sheet)

16p/kWh for 22kw and under chargers
20p/kWh for >22kw chargers.
I've updated the sheet with those changes and provided you with edit access if you wish to help maintain the sheet for any future changes.

Angus Council now charge 23p/kW

Thanks! Can't see any mention of this on ChargePlace Scotland's twitter feed but it is mentioned here. I've updated the sheet with this info.

Change summary:
  1. Added tariff for City of Glasgow
  2. Added tariff for North Ayrshire
  3. Added tariff for Angus
  4. Added link to Charge Point Tariffs page as some charge points within councils now have individual pricing.

By my count that's now 18 out of 32 councils that now have tariffs in place.

Reactions: Overworked
I've updated the sheet with those changes and provided you with edit access if you wish to help maintain the sheet for any future changes.

Thanks! Can't see any mention of this on ChargePlace Scotland's twitter feed but it is mentioned here. I've updated the sheet with this info.

Change summary:
  1. Added tariff for City of Glasgow
  2. Added tariff for North Ayrshire
  3. Added tariff for Angus
  4. Added link to Charge Point Tariffs page as some charge points within councils now have individual pricing.

By my count that's now 18 out of 32 councils that now have tariffs in place.
Thank you.
Thankfully my council is still free :)

Reactions: Horatio Alger
Few updates to the sheet.....
  1. Scottish Borders council introducing charges from 1st May 22
  2. Moray council introducing charges from 1st May 22
  3. City of Edinburgh council introducing charges from 1st May 22
  4. City of Glasgow council have rescinded plans to introduce charging pending review of charging infrastructure.
From 1st May 22 that'll be 19 out of 32 Scottish councils that now charge for EV charging.

Be aware that the rates for individual charge points may vary within councils.

• Informative
Reactions: init6 and Adopado
Few updates to the sheet.....
  1. Scottish Borders council introducing charges from 1st May 22
  2. Moray council introducing charges from 1st May 22
  3. City of Edinburgh council introducing charges from 1st May 22
  4. City of Glasgow council have rescinded plans to introduce charging pending review of charging infrastructure.
From 1st May 22 that'll be 19 out of 32 Scottish councils that now charge for EV charging.

Be aware that the rates for individual charge points may vary within councils.
I'll update on the 1st of May (but remind me if I haven't done it :) ) looks like some other are updating tariffs too e.g. Argyll and Bute

Reactions: Medved_77
Aberdeenshire Council and East Lothian Council are increasing their prices from 1st July 2022.

1655728752784.png

Sheet updated and special mention to East Lothian council who have managed to implement the tariff with the most amount of variables.

What I find annoying about CPS is that they say 50kw charging but you’re really only likely to get 35-40kw and with the 45 min limit it’s impossible to get a decent amount in so you have to stop more often
This is one of those things which might confuse people more but they usually have limits in Amps.

The charger probably has a 125A limit at 400V (from memory this is what the old Chademo used to be like when I got my first Tesla, might be 120A). If you have a smaller voltage battery, say 350V, and I think iots only the MS and MX that are 400V, then 125A is 43kw max.

It's also why the 350kw chargers don't deliver the max 250kw on our Teslas as they are based on 800v are probbaly something like 435amp limited, which for a M3, assuming a 350V, would max out at about 155kw.

TL;DR. the limit is 50kw only if you have a 400V battery

What I find annoying about CPS is that they say 50kw charging but you’re really only likely to get 35-40kw and with the 45 min limit it’s impossible to get a decent amount in so you have to stop more often
I use CPS chargers in the North Lanarkshire Council area. The Council still doesn't levy charges for use (which is hugely welcome, obv).

I've noticed that the maximum charge offered by several different models of 50kW chargers in the area reduced a few months ago, from an indicated 49kW to, now, 36kW. There's no delivery time limit here yet, but the power reduction means charging to the charge limit takes longer, especially given that the car spends around a third of that power heating the battery for maybe half an hour or so. The chargers are increasingly busy as a result.

I hope when the Council implements a tariff, they restore the power delivery to the maximum output supported by the car / charger combination.

I use CPS chargers in the North Lanarkshire Council area. The Council still doesn't levy charges for use (which is hugely welcome, obv).

I've noticed that the maximum charge offered by several different models of 50kW chargers in the area reduced a few months ago, from an indicated 49kW to, now, 36kW. There's no delivery time limit here yet, but the power reduction means charging to the charge limit takes longer, especially given that the car spends around a third of that power heating the battery for maybe half an hour or so. The chargers are increasingly busy as a result.

I hope when the Council implements a tariff, they restore the power delivery to the maximum output supported by the car / charger combination.
On my recent NC500 trip the only one I got near 50kw was on Skye with yet another 45min limit the same as in Ullapool. The one in Grantown On Spey was completely dead despite the website saying otherwise. Braemar was the only one that didn’t have a time limit. There really needs to be more consistency. The Gridserve at John O Groats was the best non SuC.