Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Place Scotland Tariffs by Council

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my recent NC500 trip the only one I got near 50kw was on Skye with yet another 45min limit the same as in Ullapool. The one in Grantown On Spey was completely dead despite the website saying otherwise. Braemar was the only one that didn’t have a time limit. There really needs to be more consistency. The Gridserve at John O Groats was the best non SuC.
You were unlucky. There are very few chargers on the CPS network that have overstay fees for such a short time. My local ones are free and have no limit whatsoever. I also routinely get mid 40s kW which is enough to give me circa 45% additional charge in an LR in 45 minutes.

You were unlucky. There are very few chargers on the CPS network that have overstay fees for such a short time. My local ones are free and have no limit whatsoever. I also routinely get mid 40s kW which is enough to give me circa 45% additional charge in an LR in 45 minutes.
He wasn't unlucky, he was on the NC500. The 45 minute limit is for all chargers provided by the highlands council. Which is pretty much all of them on the NC500 with the exception of the toll bridge on Skye and the the John O Groats Gridserve.
The highland council tend to have older units which operate at 32-37kw in my experience, which makes it worse.

The CPS prices are very reasonable, which also stifles competition IMHO.

Reactions: Mr H
He wasn't unlucky, he was on the NC500. The 45 minute limit is for all chargers provided by the highlands council. Which is pretty much all of them on the NC500 with the exception of the toll bridge on Skye and the the John O Groats Gridserve.
The highland council tend to have older units which operate at 32-37kw in my experience, which makes it worse.

The CPS prices are very reasonable, which also stifles competition IMHO.
Sorry I should have quoted this part of his earlier post:
What I find annoying about CPS is that they say 50kw charging but you’re really only likely to get 35-40kw and with the 45 min limit it’s impossible to get a decent amount in so you have to stop more often
CPS network is not just the chargers in Highland Council.

Edit: Actually there are quite a few chargers on the CPS network that are not owned by Highland Council on the NC500 route that don't have the 45min limit

Last edited:
Sorry I should have quoted this part of his earlier post:

CPS network is not just the chargers in Highland Council.

Edit: Actually there are quite a few chargers on the CPS network that are not owned by Highland Council on the NC500 route that don't have the 45min limit

Fair to say that not all CPS are highlands council. My experiences elsewhere weren't overly positive. Was great to turn up to dundee on a low charge and find that the CCS 50kw charger is actually chademo (Reported, still not fixed).

There is also a few harbour trusts and the torridon, but the majority of the chargers actually on the NC500 are highlands counci.

Cps is falling to bits where I am, although free (for the time being) the 50kw chargers are often out of service. The guys running around fixing them must be making a killing on overtime, assuming they have anyway decent contracts. Though most likely swarco pare everything back to the bone to try and turn a profit.

Comms board failures, card reader faults and units out of warranty period seem to be plaguing the network.

It really needs investment and either faster more reliable chargers installed or more chargers installed if they are to meet demand in years to come. It’s all a bit of a shambles.

Cps is falling to bits where I am, although free (for the time being) the 50kw chargers are often out of service. The guys running around fixing them must be making a killing on overtime, assuming they have anyway decent contracts. Though most likely swarco pare everything back to the bone to try and turn a profit.

Comms board failures, card reader faults and units out of warranty period seem to be plaguing the network.

It really needs investment and either faster more reliable chargers installed or more chargers installed if they are to meet demand in years to come. It’s all a bit of a shambles.
I completely agree it's a fantastic idea but falls badly short on Maintenance, as almost all the Chargers are out of Warranty repairs are chargeable and need to be approved by Hosts typically Local Authorities and we all know how they operate. I wrote to the Scottish Transport Secretary months ago suggesting that they centralise the Maintenance and Budget with Swarko and got a reply from some flunky completely ignoring my point.

It could be a world leader but not the way they run it at present.

Reactions: Katic1972
Glasgow did plan to introduce charges to recoup some of the cost - and hopefully fund maintenance - but that got canned for some reason or other. (just) Outside of Glasgow I've rarely had problems with my 2 local charge areas. Both have 2 Rapid chargers and almost always (network faults aside) both of them are working. There are also multiple 22kw chargers that are barely used, so there's always plenty of them free.

I really can’t knock the free miles that’s for sure, and, when they work the system is pretty damned good.

My local 50kw was out of action for about 6 weeks though due to warranty issues. It went back into service and lasted three further weeks before biting the dust again. There are still 7kw are 22kw around mind you sadly the tend to promote people plugging up and leaving their cars for a long period sometimes all day.

Can’t imagine how the taxi drivers in the area are putting up with it. Their downtime must cost them a fortune.

Investment in the network is the answer though. Especially in areas where home charging isn’t really an option.

Nice modern charging unit, and somewhere to walk / picnic while it's charging
A very handy charging location just before the Skye Bridge on the mainland side. (Pity the CCS seems to be reported as faulty at the moment.) Though CPC call the location "Toll Office" ... it's not signposted as such* and presently has a sign outside referring to "The Plock" "Kyle's Community Parkland".

*presumably because it hasn't been a toll office for 18 years ... the bridge itself just being known as the Skye Bridge.

Reactions: init6
Nice modern charging unit, and somewhere to walk / picnic while it's charging

Strangely ZapMap doesn't show the other CPS rapid at Kyle of Lochalsh Leisure centre ... and there's also one at Kyleakin just on the other side of the Skye bridge. Good to have a cluster of 3 so close to each other in case one or more is out of action.

Darn, going to have to pay for charging now. Ah well 2 years free fuel was not to be sniffed at and I think the current rates are cheaper than my soon to be domestic rate.

• Helpful
Reactions: Medved_77
Strangely ZapMap doesn't show the other CPS rapid at Kyle of Lochalsh Leisure centre ... and there's also one at Kyleakin just on the other side of the Skye bridge. Good to have a cluster of 3 so close to each other in case one or more is out of action.
Apparently CPS don't share Charger Data with other parties hence there is the odd gap in Zap Map but you can advise them of missing Chargers and they will update the map accordingly, I've done so in the past.

Another two Scottish councils introducing tariffs from 1 January 2023:

• North Lanarkshire Council – AC Charging Points – £0.27p per kWh. Rapid Charging Points – £0.40p per kW with a £30 overstay after 60 minutes
  • Perth & Kinross Council – AC Charging Points £0.30p per kWh and a £10 overstay fee after 4 hours. DC Charging Points – £0.35p per kWh and a £10 overstay fee after 1 hour

Google sheet in post #1 updated.

Admin charge per use probably.

It will usually be for a place with a charger installed and the credit card cost is the main admin cost, then accounting for the transaction- if they are not a big establishment.

They will usually be paying a set fee per transaction on credit cards, and it can vary depending on which card a person uses - but the site won’t know until the bill comes in.

It will usually be for a place with a charger installed and the credit card cost is the main admin cost, then accounting for the transaction- if they are not a big establishment.

They will usually be paying a set fee per transaction on credit cards, and it can vary depending on which card a person uses - but the site won’t know until the bill comes in.
CPS is charged by Direct Debit monthly. I think the admin largely gov funded.

Short of "contactor cycles", not sure why a connection fee is needed - most don't charge it.