Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Point chargers "disabled"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, 2021 M3P. I have a 60 mile RT commute to work daily and only a Level 1 charger at home. Not a big deal as there is a SC on the way to work, and a free Level 2 1/2 mile from work.

About a month ago, like magic, 3 Free Charge Point Level 2 chargers get put in at a school across the street from where I live. Fantastic! (They don't appear on the Charge Point map yet). I've used them 1-2x/week with no issues. But last week I noticed that 2/3 say they are "disabled". One still works, but as of 2 days ago that also says it'd "disabled".

I call Charge Point (I can't put in a ticket online because they're not on the map) and they say something about new units being on a trial basis with a limit of 10 charges, or something to that effect, and that it is something the owner has to fix on their end, but that they would notify the owner and it should be corrected soon.

Does anyone have any experience with or insight into this? Is this standard? Why would someone invest in chargers for a trial period and then decide not to fully activate them?

There are four ChargePoints in the parking garage of my grocery store (in a complex with other businesses) and they worked for several months. Then, slowly, they started going offline abs disappearing from the map. ChargePoint also just went public via a SPAC a few weeks ago and I wondered if it had something to do with that - influx of cash and maybe they are upgrading?

Reactions: dgb62
So, 2021 M3P. I have a 60 mile RT commute to work daily and only a Level 1 charger at home. Not a big deal as there is a SC on the way to work, and a free Level 2 1/2 mile from work.

About a month ago, like magic, 3 Free Charge Point Level 2 chargers get put in at a school across the street from where I live. Fantastic! (They don't appear on the Charge Point map yet). I've used them 1-2x/week with no issues. But last week I noticed that 2/3 say they are "disabled". One still works, but as of 2 days ago that also says it'd "disabled".

I call Charge Point (I can't put in a ticket online because they're not on the map) and they say something about new units being on a trial basis with a limit of 10 charges, or something to that effect, and that it is something the owner has to fix on their end, but that they would notify the owner and it should be corrected soon.

Does anyone have any experience with or insight into this? Is this standard? Why would someone invest in chargers for a trial period and then decide not to fully activate them?

We have chargepoint chargers at my campus but they are restricted to employees (even though the parking lot they are in is not behind a gate or anything). They dont show up on the map, but you can see them physically.

You should expect that, since they are at a school, they are for the school and not the general public (like restricted access gas pumps). This will likely become more and more common I would think ( charging stations at places of business, with restrictions to make sure only a specific population can use them).

My guess on this situation for the OP is, they put these in, but had not finished linking it to the school etc.

TL ; DR , dont expect to be able to use those in the future, would be my guess.

• Helpful
Reactions: strykeroz and dgb62

Curious if you have an update on this situation and if the stations ever resumed working. My wife’s office just relocated to a newly built tower with a number of ChargePoint stations. One by one they have each switched from being usable to saying disabled. I’m guessing there is some step the building needs to take to activate them. Any advice from your experience would be appreciate.