Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Point Home Flex feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched and didn't find a dedicated thread for this (though there are comment responses here and there) so I'm starting one. I suspect no one is buying the Charge Point Home Flex for their Tesla as a first option - it requires a J1772 adapter and costs $200 more than the Tesla wall charger. But many electrical utilities - including mine in Portland - offer rebates for the Charge Point, but not the Tesla. In my case, after a 15% off Home Depot coupon, the 30% federal tax credit for charging equipment, and a $500 rebate from the utility company, my cost for the $699 MSRP Charge Point will be a ~$100 gain, vs. a ~$340 cost for the Tesla charger. That also compares favorably to just installing a 14-50 outlet and buying a Tesla 14-50 adapter, which would be around a $100 parts cost,. The Charge Point is also nice because it can be easily installed outside, where I wouldn't feel very safe doing that with a 14-50 without a breaker switch nearby.

So who's used the Charge Point for their Model 3? Any compatibility issues with the Model 3? Is it a pain to swap the J1772 charger on and off? Did you buy an extra J1772 adapter for the charger, or do you use the one that comes with the car? Did you have any installation problems? Have you had any reliability issues? For scheduled charging, do you use the Charge Point app, or do you leave the charger always on and schedule charging through the Tesla? Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

• fbshare-flex.jpg
    fbshare-flex.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 466
Reactions: MHATB FLA
ChargePoint here. Had another EV, plus the electric supplier gives free weekend power (supply only) via the ChargePoint app.

I modified the handle button to signal the car to release the adapter, so they come out as one. The tape helps when pushing the “spring button” to not push the ChargePoint button. Going to add a removable pin to the ChargePoint handle eventually to replace the tape.

Attachments

• 1D4E4175-A199-40AF-AFAD-3D1EC3CF5E87.jpeg
    1D4E4175-A199-40AF-AFAD-3D1EC3CF5E87.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 319
  • E7995FAA-A46D-4063-9E3E-4A5B4D8D7F88.jpeg
    E7995FAA-A46D-4063-9E3E-4A5B4D8D7F88.jpeg
    494.3 KB · Views: 307
Reactions: Big Earl
ChargePoint here. Had another EV, plus the electric supplier gives free weekend power (supply only) via the ChargePoint app.

I modified the handle button to signal the car to release the adapter, so they come out as one. The tape helps when pushing the “spring button” to not push the ChargePoint button. Going to add a removable pin to the ChargePoint handle eventually to replace the tape.

That’s so smart. I assume the handle won’t fit back into the holster with the J1772 attached. Do you just hang it nearby?

I don't have a CharePoint, but I am using a Clipper Creek J1772 charger. Same story with getting it for free from the utility company. It works pretty well although it doesn't work properly with "scheduled departure" for some reason (see another thread in the battery charging forum). Yes I did buy two J1772 adapters. One came with the car and I bought a second one so I can always have one with me. Yes I just hang it over the top of the charger when not in use. Overall I'm happy.

That’s so smart. I assume the handle won’t fit back into the holster with the J1772 attached. Do you just hang it nearby?

just drape it over the top with the rest of the coil (the top of the ChargePoint is a coil lip). The ball that the handle clips into fell out more than once - it’s close to the car so falling out is bad!

Also, the scheduled departure...ChargePoint works fine for this.

I searched and didn't find a dedicated thread for this (though there are comment responses here and there) so I'm starting one. I suspect no one is buying the Charge Point Home Flex for their Tesla as a first option - it requires a J1772 adapter and costs $200 more than the Tesla wall charger. But many electrical utilities - including mine in Portland - offer rebates for the Charge Point, but not the Tesla. In my case, after a 15% off Home Depot coupon, the 30% federal tax credit for charging equipment, and a $500 rebate from the utility company, my cost for the $699 MSRP Charge Point will be a ~$100 gain, vs. a ~$340 cost for the Tesla charger. That also compares favorably to just installing a 14-50 outlet and buying a Tesla 14-50 adapter, which would be around a $100 parts cost,. The Charge Point is also nice because it can be easily installed outside, where I wouldn't feel very safe doing that with a 14-50 without a breaker switch nearby.

So who's used the Charge Point for their Model 3? Any compatibility issues with the Model 3? Is it a pain to swap the J1772 charger on and off? Did you buy an extra J1772 adapter for the charger, or do you use the one that comes with the car? Did you have any installation problems? Have you had any reliability issues? For scheduled charging, do you use the Charge Point app, or do you leave the charger always on and schedule charging through the Tesla? Thanks for your thoughts!

I too have the HomeFlex. I have a Tesla Wall Connector, which I got when I purchased the car, but with the instant rebate from PSEG Long Island, $50 rebate for connecting the unit to them for monitoring when I charge and a 5 cents per kWh discount for overnight charging, it was practically free.
I have had no problems with it. I have done scheduling via the car, scheduling via the ChargePoint app and scheduling both at the same time. No issues.
I also purchased a second J1772 adapter so I can have one in the car and one hanging on my wall next to the charger. Removing the cable from the car is no issue either. I open the car door, then press the release button while holding the J1772 adapter and pull. come out without any effort. I then hang the adapter on the wall and put the handle back in the HomeFlex.

I have a charge point home flex that I got free through a program here (only had to pay the tax on the purchase price). I bought a spare j1772 adapter and keep it attached to the home flex. I find it works great and I have never had any issues and as a plus if I was to ever need to charge a non-Tesla at my house I have the ability to.

I also got $500 back from my utility for buying the Chargepoint Home Flex. Installed it myself, which was super easy, thanks to great instructions.

I also have a Bolt, so I use a second Tesla-to-level 2 adaptor I bought on eBay for $55*. I click it on when charging the M3, and stick it on a long deck screw attached next to the charger for easy storage.
*For Level 2 charging on the road, I keep the original Tesla-provided adaptor in the black zipper case.

I also find the Charge Point app convenient to to set charge times (to take advantage of "time of day" night time rates and to track $$: as it communicates with the utility, it displays my cost after each charge, and logs its charge curve, for future comparisons.

Also of interest: most homes have panel space and current capacity for dual-circuit breakers of 60A which is what's required for the max. 48A charge available from the ChargePoint.

I use a Chargepoint Home Flex and love it. It was my first choice because I don't want to be locked into Tesla's proprietary connector with my home EVSE even though we only have my Model 3 that's electric right now. I bought an extra J1772 adapter and just leave it permanently installed on the charger. That means the handle doesn't fit into the holster, but it's not a problem to just drape it over and let the handle hang there as-is. One thing that I really like about the Chargepoint is that I can set it to use a proper schedule where it won't charge during peak hours (4-9pm) unless I go into the app and tell it to start charging manually. I leave my car's charging schedule settings off and it just starts automatically at 9pm if I plug it in during peak hours. It works great.

The J1772 adapter is mildly annoying to have to deal with, but I have found that if I press the trigger to unplug, it sends a signal to the car to unlock the adapter and I can re-clip the handle onto the adapter and pull it out with one hand as a single unit easily. If we do end up getting a non-Tesla that needs the J1772 or we have guests with non-Tesla EVs, it's ready to go for that situation. I would probably mount a little storage box on my garage wall to keep the J1772 in if I didn't keep it permanently attached.

EDIT to add: I have my Chargepoint Home Flex plugged into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle rather than hard-wired so I can easily swap it in the future or I can plug in a mobile charger if the Chargepoint breaks. 40amps (50 amp circuit) is more than fast enough for my use at home.

Reactions: MHATB FLA
EDIT to add: I have my Chargepoint Home Flex plugged into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle rather than hard-wired so I can easily swap it in the future or I can plug in a mobile charger if the Chargepoint breaks. 40amps (50 amp circuit) is more than fast enough for my use at home.

ChargePoint Homeflex offers 48 Amps when you hard wire it (fully 20% more than you get from using a wall plug). The installation work required is slightly less and a bit cheaper with the hardwired option. All in all, I see no advantage NOT to hard wire, and cut charging times by doing so.

ChargePoint Homeflex offers 48 Amps when you hard wire it (fully 20% more than you get from using a wall plug). The installation work required is slightly less and a bit cheaper with the hardwired option. All in all, I see no advantage NOT to hard wire, and cut charging times by doing so.

The advantage is if/when you want or need to replace the Chargepoint or use some other product on the 14-50 plug, it's easy to swap or add a 14-50 splitter like the Neocharge smart splitter (which I anticipate I'll do when we get a second EV). The 20% slower charging ability doesn't bother me at all. I get about 10% per hour on my LR, which is more than enough for my needs. I typically am only charging between 10-30% of my battery capacity at worst, so it takes 3 hours, max. If I split that with another vehicle, it would take only 6 hours, which is still more than fast enough.

An advantage of the plug that I see is what if the charger dies? I can then use my mobile charger in the outlet.
And I have been meaning to bring this up for a while. Why do people get on your case when you say Tesla charger? Some people jump down your throat and say it's a "wall connector." Yet, the ChargePoint is a charger. They both do the same thing. They charge your car.

Reactions: freeAgent
And I have been meaning to bring this up for a while. Why do people get on your case when you say Tesla charger? Some people jump down your throat and say it's a "wall connector." Yet, the ChargePoint is a charger. They both do the same thing. They charge your car.
It technically isn't, but the vast majority of the time, that doesn't matter at all, and people are just being uptight, pedantic, annoying a-holes when they do that.

It is very much the same as if you're about to go out with your friend and say, "I'll get my shoes on."
And then your a-hole friend sticks his nose in the air when you come back and with a sneer "corrects" you that those are NOT shoes. Those are actually boots, and you should not call them shoes. And you might rightfully reply, "You know what? Go without me--I don't want to hang out with you."

Reactions: garth_angst
New to EV and expecting delivery on Y late summer (pushed back already after placing order just last week.) This thread is answering a question about Chargepoint being a viable option for home charging and providing more info than I even knew to ask. I'm hearing folks say that Chargepoint at home works fine for Tesla. J1772 needed and there are some approaches to the release processes as well as scheduling for non-prime time charging. If I go the Chargepoint route, I'll have to decide on hardwiring or 14-50 plug-in. Plenty of time to decide.

This new guy appreciates the insights. Thank You!

I have the chargepoint home flex. I ended up liking it better than the Tesla wall charger because the app.

I dont know why people are opening the back door to release it. I don't do that. I just push the button on the handle and release it. Then I pull the charger and adapter out as one piece when the car releases.

I like using the plug in chargepoint hanger so I remove the adapter after. You really don't need to though because you could just let the cord hand around the unit. The plug in mount just looks cool.

It technically isn't, but the vast majority of the time, that doesn't matter at all, and people are just being uptight, pedantic, annoying a-holes when they do that.

It is very much the same as if you're about to go out with your friend and say, "I'll get my shoes on."
And then your a-hole friend sticks his nose in the air when you come back and with a sneer "corrects" you that those are NOT shoes. Those are actually boots, and you should not call them shoes. And you might rightfully reply, "You know what? Go without me--I don't want to hang out with you."
I agree!

I also bought a ChargePoint because it cost me about $20 after rebates, and gives me 40A instead of 32A with the mobile charger.

I use the included J1772 adapter, and store it on top of the 14-50 outlet box when not using it. If I'm taking a longer trip, I put it in the trunk well on the driver's side.

Only down side so far is having to manually unlock the charge port when taking out the plug. I usually use my phone app, but occasionally take too long to get to the car, and have to fish the phone out of my pocket again or reach over to the car's touch screen.

I also bought a ChargePoint because it cost me about $20 after rebates, and gives me 40A instead of 32A with the mobile charger.

I use the included J1772 adapter, and store it on top of the 14-50 outlet box when not using it. If I'm taking a longer trip, I put it in the trunk well on the driver's side.

Only down side so far is having to manually unlock the charge port when taking out the plug. I usually use my phone app, but occasionally take too long to get to the car, and have to fish the phone out of my pocket again or reach over to the car's touch screen.
I just press the door handle in a little, the car wakes, and then I am able to pull the cable with the adapter all at once.

Once the car is awake (I just open the Tesla app before I head out to unplug it, don't bother unlocking), you can unlock the charge port by pressing the release button on the ChargePoint handle. I press and release it (making sure it latches back onto the J1772 adapter), and the car will unlock the port. Then I pull the ChargePoint from the car and the adapter comes with it.