Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Point Home Flex feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe its's a software thing, but I only push the release on the charge point handle and the car wakes/unlocks the port (when already plugged in).

I made the setup like pictured earlier in this thread so I didn't need two hands.

Maybe its's a software thing, but I only push the release on the charge point handle and the car wakes/unlocks the port (when already plugged in).

I made the setup like pictured earlier in this thread so I didn't need two hands.
I've found that it sometimes takes the car a while to wake up and respond when I do that. That's why I do something to start waking the car up in advance. This usually works for me, too, but sometimes I have to stand there to wait for the car to wake up before it'll release the latch.

I decided to go with the ChargePoint flex for my Model S, as my electric coop was offering a $500 rebate on installation, and the unit is billed in monthly installments, with a rebate each year, as long as I charge during a pre-determined time range (9pm-6am). Of course, I can plug the car in anytime, but the juice won't start flowing except during that time period. I can override that anytime, and won't lose the rebate as long as a certain percentage of charging is done during the default time period.

I didn't like having to remove the adapter each time, and drape the cord over the top of the charger, so I found a holster for US$30 at pimpmyev.com:
(see photo below)

To unlock the charge port on the car and release the cable (with J1772 adapter still attached), I keep my tesla cable draped over the top of the chargepoint, and press the button.
(see photo below)

This is a bit of a kludge as I don't like having to use the app (or open the door, etc.) to unlock the charge port, but I also don't like having to keep the Tesla cable nearby for access to the button (though the latter is faster and more convenient, if not unsightly).

I'd prefer not to have to use an external holster, but the one built into the chargepoint, but I don't know of an adapter that would facilitate that.

Attachments

• IMG_7154.jpg
    IMG_7154.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 113
To unlock the charge port on the car and release the cable (with J1772 adapter still attached), I keep my tesla cable draped over the top of the chargepoint, and press the button.
(see photo below)

This is a bit of a kludge as I don't like having to use the app (or open the door, etc.) to unlock the charge port, but I also don't like having to keep the Tesla cable nearby for access to the button (though the latter is faster and more convenient, if not unsightly).
You don't have to do any of that. While the cable is plugged into the car, it has a signal pin communicating directly to the car. Pressing the button on the top of the J1772 handle sends an interrupt/unlock signal into the car, and it will release the charge port. Then just grab the adapter with your other hand, and you can pull them both out together. Here's a video showing what it looks like:

Reactions: P3dStealth
I decided to go with the ChargePoint flex for my Model S, as my electric coop was offering a $500 rebate on installation, and the unit is billed in monthly installments, with a rebate each year, as long as I charge during a pre-determined time range (9pm-6am). Of course, I can plug the car in anytime, but the juice won't start flowing except during that time period. I can override that anytime, and won't lose the rebate as long as a certain percentage of charging is done during the default time period.

I didn't like having to remove the adapter each time, and drape the cord over the top of the charger, so I found a holster for US$30 at pimpmyev.com:
(see photo below)

(see photo below)

I'd prefer not to have to use an external holster, but the one built into the chargepoint, but I don't know of an adapter that would facilitate that.
You might have a problem not plugging the plug back into the unit. The ChargePoint may fault after a while with I think a red LED light because it doesn't "see" the handle back in the holster. It doesn't happen right away. Can take days, but it may happen. Remember, you heard it here, so you don't have to call ChargePoint and ask them what happened.

You might have a problem not plugging the plug back into the unit. The ChargePoint may fault after a while with I think a red LED light because it doesn't "see" the handle back in the holster. It doesn't happen right away. Can take days, but it may happen. Remember, you heard it here, so you don't have to call ChargePoint and ask them what happened.
My light has taken almost two years to turn on, I guess.

I am going to film my own version of this because it's even easier. Push the button - car stops charging and releases - release button - pull out as one unit. It's a one handed operation if you do it correctly.
Well, you're welcome to do that of course, but there's a reason that video exists. It ALWAYS works for ALL cars. So it is simple to recommend to everyone.

The method you described, where you release the button before trying to pull it out DOES NOT work on my car and many others. The car instantly locks back onto the adapter when that button is released. So your video you film should try to list some of the conditions and disclaimers about what models and date ranges of cars it is likely to work on.