Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge points in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get info on where I can access fast charge points for my Roadster in the UK. Do the old 70A points still exist? They seem to have disappeared from ZapMap’s list. I have a type 2 connector but I think it is limited to 7 kW chargers, and that the more useful 22 kW are off limits.

Generally I charge at home on a 3pin 13 A socket, and only rarely drive beyond the car’s range in one day.

Can anyone provide some advice?

Hello

I don't see why type-2 should be limited to 7kWh. I used a Henry Sharp Can adapter on a 43KW AC-TRI chargepoint, and the car took up to 60A. I generaly use the site chargemap.com to locate charging station, it's free to use, you just have to create a free account. The y also have a mobile phone application.

Hope this could help.

Best regards

I noted that the Roadster chargers have all disappeared from both Plug Share and Zap Map, probably a conspiracy.

The Type 2 will depending on the gauge of the cable (hint if it gets real hot, it probably isn't rated for that current...) charge off a variety of Type 2 charge points. For example the Ecotricity AC Type 2 pumps are rated at 43kW, and the Polar UltraChargers go somewhat higher, 50kW I think.

I get around the country and charge with ease, for example last Friday I did a 220 mile round trip from Newbury to Stevenage, today I'm near Coventry having done over 180 miles - with another 100 odd left on the pack. I expect to charge at an Ecotricity stage over breakfast before heading to my next destination.

Bear in mind I do have the 3.0 pack so have somewhat greater range, at least before the CAC drops off :-(

PM for me info if you are struggling - there are plenty of fast chargers also around which are at companies, private sites and universities etc; most will indulge you if you need a jump start so to speak.

Hi Rolf, and thanks. I am probably being a bit dense, but is J1772 the same as Type II Mennekes? Will the Henry Sharp adaptor allow me to use the tethered AC Rapid chargers provided by Ecotricity at motorway service stations in the UK?
Type-2, sometimes called Mennekes, is AC charging usually 3-phase. J1772 is single phase AC charging and much less common than Type 2. A "tethered" station means it has its own cable. Most Type 2 cables are only rated for 32A which is why the AC rapid chargers like Ecotricity and Fastned are tethered. The CAN EU allows you to use one phase of Type 2 chargers up to 70A (the max single phase allowed by Type 2 standard) but is useless with J1772. For those you need the CAN JR but it's not all that useful in the UK, and even less useful in other parts of Europe.

Hi Rolf, and thanks. I am probably being a bit dense, but is J1772 the same as Type II Mennekes? Will the Henry Sharp adaptor allow me to use the tethered AC Rapid chargers provided by Ecotricity at motorway service stations in the UK?

You just have been answered by mr Sharp himself ;) I got one of his CAN-EU and never been in England, so I cannot tell more sorry.

Most Type 2 a/c rapid chargers (eg eccotricity at most motorway services) will charge the roadster at 60 amps (eg 40mph). May need a 'can'

Btw welcome to TMC, good to see another UK roadster owner on here. Where are you based and which one of the few UK roadsters is your car ?

Thanks for replies which I missed in last couple of weeks. Mark, I'm in Hertfordshire and am now getting a CAN EU so I can access the Ecotricity network. I should add my photo - mine was one of the last three sold in the UK in 2012, VIN 815. The same colour as the one heading for deep space.

@dpeilow thanks for that link - do you know if the Stafford and Nottingham charge points are still working? Less of an issue once I have the CAN but if I'm driving north they were/are a crucial staging point.

@dpeilow thanks for that link - do you know if the Stafford and Nottingham charge points are still working? Less of an issue once I have the CAN but if I'm driving north they were/are a crucial staging point.

Both of those locations have been reported working properly in the last few weeks, so you should be ok. The sliding switch on the Nottingham one is known to be a bit stiff, so you might want to take some WD40.

If you plug an ecotricity ac cable into a model s you will only get 18kW (same as 3 phase ac in a 22kW post). You need a chademo adaptor to get more.

This is the Roadster section ;)

i am a UK Roadster owner, and I have Henry's CAN EU and use it on Ecotricity points. It works perfectly. Depending on the generation of their charger, on the single phase you can draw from 32 to 70 amps with no issue. I thoroughly recommend it. Not cheap but beautifully made and it WORKS!
I also have his previous adapter which you can use if you have a type 1 to type 2 cable converter and saw off an accurate amount of the female Type 2 socket on that cable so you can defeat the blocking mechanism and use it as an extension to a tethered Type 2 plug as you find at Ecotricity. I used that a lot before the CAN EU was invented.
PM me if you want more UK detail.

I also have the CAN Type 2 and previously owned the CAN Type 1 with the sawn-off cable. While they are great for opportunity charging and plugging gaps in the network, I would caution that:

- The real Roadster HPCs give out 70A (with the exception of Heathrow which is set at 60). I have never seen more than 60A on an Ecotricity or 64A on a Polar. Sometimes you get 32A from Ecotricity and I haven't seen a pattern to it.

- Most Type 1 to Type 2 cables are made for 32A charging. Obviously they have some margin, but 64A is probably going to melt things. I personally also do not like leaving that unattended in a car park.

- Many motorway service areas have a 2 hour maximum stay policy that is policed by ANPR. Filling the Roadster takes longer than this so be careful.

- The hotels chosen were selected for being a pleasant environment with decent food options and often other things like pools. Given the choice between that or a couple of hours in a Burger King with slot machines in the background, I would take the former every time :)