Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port auto closing on adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
Really enjoying the MY so far. I do have one minor annoyance though. My home charger has a J1772 and so I have to use the adapter when charging. Sometimes...not all the time...when I unplug in the morning the charge port immediately closes while the adapter is still inserted. I then have to wait for it to realize it can't close and then open again so I can remove the adapter.

Is there any way to stop it from auto closing immediately like this? Like I said it doesn't do it 100% of the time but at least 50% of the time it happens. Aside from the annoying part I'm also concerned about damage to the charge port door.

I don't know of a way to stop the autoclose. In general, I think the easiest thing to do with the J1772 is to pull them both out at the same time. This takes both hands, but seems to work pretty well, and they are easy to separate after that as well.

You just have to push the latch on the J1772, wait a second or two for the vehicle to unlock the port, then pull them both.

Ok this makes sense to me now! I think I know why it is doing this. When the vehicle is not actively charging or conditioning it doesn't do it. Recently I set the vehicle departure setting so that it conditions itself in the morning and that is why I think it started doing this....because it is actively drawing power from the charger when I remove the plug.

I am going to try what you suggest as a work around. You know it would make more sense if Tesla did one of the following:

1) Allow the user to disable the auto closing charge port
2) Have some type of sensor in the adapter that allows the vehicle to recognize it is still inserted so it will not try to close the charge port door every morning.

I think the first would probably be easier to implement.

Really enjoying the MY so far. I do have one minor annoyance though. My home charger has a J1772 and so I have to use the adapter when charging. Sometimes...not all the time...when I unplug in the morning the charge port immediately closes while the adapter is still inserted. I then have to wait for it to realize it can't close and then open again so I can remove the adapter.

Is there any way to stop it from auto closing immediately like this? Like I said it doesn't do it 100% of the time but at least 50% of the time it happens. Aside from the annoying part I'm also concerned about damage to the charge port door.
What type of charger are you using. Your problem isn't the door but the fact that you're leaving the J1772 attached to the charging port. My J1772 is attached to the Jukebox 40 cable and when I unlock the charging port to remove the cable the J1772 stays attached to the cable.

Last edited:
I use a j-1772 Chargepoint, I pull the trigger on the Chargepoint, release it, the tesla unlocks as charging has been interrupted, and I just pull the Chargepoint and the adaptor is locked to the Charepoint. I then remove the adaptor and take it with me. Using two hand works too :)

What type of charger are you using. Your problem isn't the door but the fact that you're leaving the J1772 attached to the charging port. My J1772 is attached to the Jukebox 40 cable and when I unlock the charging port to remove the cable the J1772 stays attached to the cable.
Right so I have to figure out a way to remove it as one piece. It is a JuiceBox charger and I would buy a Tesla Wall charger if it had the smart functions that track energy usage etc. I obviously can't just pull it out as one piece without doing something to unlock the charge port first. I am not leaving the J1772 attached though I am removing that and leaving the Tesla adapter in place. Even if there was a delay of like 15 seconds that would be enough time for me to pull the adapter out too...but the closing is immediate as soon as my J1772 is removed. I think what was recommended might work by just pushing the release but not pulling out right away, letting go of the release, and then pulling all of it out as one piece.

I need less complication in the morning not more 😂

Reactions: wackojacko
Right so I have to figure out a way to remove it as one piece. It is a JuiceBox charger and I would buy a Tesla Wall charger if it had the smart functions that track energy usage etc. I obviously can't just pull it out as one piece without doing something to unlock the charge port first. I am not leaving the J1772 attached though I am removing that and leaving the Tesla adapter in place. Even if there was a delay of like 15 seconds that would be enough time for me to pull the adapter out too...but the closing is immediate as soon as my J1772 is removed. I think what was recommended might work by just pushing the release but not pulling out right away, letting go of the release, and then pulling all of it out as one piece.

I need less complication in the morning not more 😂
The J1772 locks onto the end of the JB cable - you should see a notch on the J1772 which the JB cable latches onto. When I complete charging, I use my phone app to unlock the charging port and remove the JB cable and J1772 as one piece. Nothing then to impede the charging port door to close.

Reactions: jsight
The J1772 locks onto the end of the JB cable - you should see a notch on the J1772 which the JB cable latches onto. When I complete charging, I use my phone app to unlock the charging port and remove the JB cable and J1772 as one piece. Nothing then to impede the charging port door to close.
Ok, this sounds like another solution. I'm going to try both methods! Thank you all 😃