Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port closes too quickly - any options to customise length of time it stays open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is a first world problem, but it is still a bit annoying... Picture the scene: I pull up at home, put the car in Park, click on the Open Charger icon on the screen, and then rush out the car, rush round to the charger, rapidly unwind the cable (note: the Missus insists the cable be wound up except when in use "after all", she says, "that is why you told me we should get the Andersen charger in the first place as it is so much neater than the rest, even though it was more expensive!") anyway, back to my unwinding the cable... then just as I am about to plug the charger into the port, the port closes on me. All that rushing wasted ! And then I mess around with the phone App to open the charger from there.
So, like I said: a pretty trivial problem...but one I am hoping the folks on here have figured out how to resolve !

I was having the same issue but using the option to lock when walking away exclude from home and use the short cut app on the iphone to lock the car when i am in the house. That way the car is open and all you need to do is tap the charge point.

I know this is a first world problem, but it is still a bit annoying... Picture the scene: I pull up at home, put the car in Park, click on the Open Charger icon on the screen, and then rush out the car, rush round to the charger, rapidly unwind the cable (note: the Missus insists the cable be wound up except when in use "after all", she says, "that is why you told me we should get the Andersen charger in the first place as it is so much neater than the rest, even though it was more expensive!") anyway, back to my unwinding the cable... then just as I am about to plug the charger into the port, the port closes on me. All that rushing wasted ! And then I mess around with the phone App to open the charger from there.
So, like I said: a pretty trivial problem...but one I am hoping the folks on here have figured out how to resolve !
I agree this is a problem. And once the port is closed the car is locked so you can't just tap the port to open it. grrrr.

I was having the same issue but using the option to lock when walking away exclude from home and use the short cut app on the iphone to lock the car when i am in the house. That way the car is open and all you need to do is tap the charge point.
But I don't think this is the solution. Both from a (I'll totally forget to do that one day) POV, but also the general Tesla aim of removing hassle, not adding it in.

Overall the ability to have different behavior while at 'home' that isn't just turning features off would be great. Ability to set your own delay on locking is probably the right solution, but I suspect it will always be wrong unless you can make it smarter somehow.

In the mean time, I leave a door or the boot open until everything else is sorted (car empty, charger plugged) during which you can open the port by tapping it, then close everything and walk away and let the walk away lock kick in.

Reactions: mspohr
Have you tried pressing the lower edge of the charge port? Not always successful, but most times that should open the charge port for you.
This.
when I get out of the car I walk around. press the charge port it opens. Then I unwind the cable and plug in.
Not sure how long the period of time between getting out and the press to open still working. Probably tied to when the car locks but I have never had an issue..

Not quite so convenient when you go out to the car to plug in when its locked. Dumb as it sounds often the quickest thing is just to open and close the back left door which wakes up the car and lets you tap the port to open. Quicker than getting your phone out though

Last edited:
On Friday afternoon heading down to Twickers I stopped at the Heathrow Hilton SC's and a car just leaving had left its charge port open.
Do you get a warning on screen as that would leave a very wet socket with all the rain that day.
It's supposed to close by itself so either he drove off very quickly after unplugging and it just had not done it yet or it was faulty. So normally a left open warning not needed as the behaviour is just to close itself but I would hope there is port cover fault warning fault to let you know its failed to close but never happened to me so don't know

You do realise you can just tap the bottom of the charge port flap and it opens?

Have you tried pressing the lower edge of the charge port? Not always successful, but most times that should open the charge port for you.
I'm guessing the OP has got his phone key on him, and if you get out with the doors closed and charge port open, there's a good chance the car will lock (and thus - the charge port when it closes) while he's fiddling around with the charge point.

I've had the same concerns with my A2, but I've avoided the problem simply by being faster :p

You could open and close the rear door, or possibly even just press on the handle, and that would enable you to be able to press on the charge port door for it to open again.

But I don't think this is the solution. Both from a (I'll totally forget to do that one day) POV, but also the general Tesla aim of removing hassle, not adding it in.

Overall the ability to have different behavior while at 'home' that isn't just turning features off would be great. Ability to set your own delay on locking is probably the right solution, but I suspect it will always be wrong unless you can make it smarter somehow.
I totally agree with you on that the solution shouldnt be to just switch it off a feature whilst at home. I did look at the whole NFC sticker but couldnt be asked to go though so may more hoops setting that up. As I only just had the car it is more of a simple routine for me that I have to actually lock the car when I get home.

can anyone confirm if this actually works for them though. With the doors unlocked yes you can tap the chargeport to open it, but according to the manual "Press the bottom of the charge port door when Model 3 is unlocked or an authenticated phone is nearby." this NEVER works for me if the car is locked.
pressing the chargeport door will only ever open if the car is unlocked, and with me the car will nearly always lock in the time it takes for me to go from the drivers door to the frunk, get the cable and walk to the back. I have to open the rear door and then press the chargeport every time. And more annoyingly if I have the charge cable in the boot, it doesn't count the boot opening as unlocking, so I have to open the boot, get the cable then open the rear door.....

Reactions: tj333 and browellm
can anyone confirm if this actually works for them though. With the doors unlocked yes you can tap the chargeport to open it, but according to the manual "Press the bottom of the charge port door when Model 3 is unlocked or an authenticated phone is nearby." this NEVER works for me if the car is locked.
pressing the chargeport door will only ever open if the car is unlocked, and with me the car will nearly always lock in the time it takes for me to go from the drivers door to the frunk, get the cable and walk to the back. I have to open the rear door and then press the chargeport every time. And more annoyingly if I have the charge cable in the boot, it doesn't count the boot opening as unlocking, so I have to open the boot, get the cable then open the rear door.....
Mine rarely works like that...my best solution is when I get home and open the charge port, I don't close the drivers door all the way until I get my car plugged in.

Agreed, the car needs to be unlocked for the touch to open the chargeport.

I have a Tesla Key and a phone, never have a problem like this. The key is my backup entry device incase I ever lost my phone, but it's just more handy for things like this. Unlock car then long press on the back and the chargeflap opens.

Worth every penny.... Takes care of the house keys problem. Unlock frunk/boot at a distance. Unlock charge port/cable at a distance. Way less flaky than the phone when unlocking the car with the door handle.

TBH Tesla should just give it with the car.... I know the whole "phone key" is cool PR, but it's just not as usefull.

Last edited:

Worth every penny.... Takes care of the house keys problem. Unlock frunk/boot at a distance. Unlock charge port/cable at a distance. Way less flaky than the phone when unlocking the car with the door handle.

About the only missed feature for 2021 models with powered boot is that it can't close the boot remotely
Why would it not be able to close the boot remotely? (presumably you mean with the key fob?) Does it just not work?

I gather you can open and close the boot on the screen in the car. Does the Tesla app let you do it?

Reactions: Yev000
Why would it not be able to close the boot remotely? (presumably you mean with the key fob?) Does it just not work?

I gather you can open and close the boot on the screen in the car. Does the Tesla app let you do it?
Ok, just tried it and it works if you double tap again, so I'm an idiot. In my defence the buttons are very stiff and it doesn't always work - as I've tried that before.

Reactions: Durzel
Lots of Apple-style "You're holding it wrong" responses. I think the OP pretty clearly set out why it doesn't work how he would like and there's no doubt, if you use phone key and walk-away lock, then you're on the clock with regard to either a)getting the charge port open, or b) keeping it open.

I find the implementation and logic a bit weird as the car obviously knows the phone is in proximity: witness being able to open a door to get everything to spring back into life. So why the car can't or won't allow charge port access with this same access to Bluetooth authentication is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
When washing the car I have unlocked it (opened the door) to extend the wing mirrors, to clean them, with my phone in one of my front pockets, and it has spontaneously locked itself and folded them again as I'm walking around cleaning it.

I can absolutely believe that walking to the rear of the car (and beyond) to unravel the charge point cable would result in the car losing the phone key connection, and activating walk away lock - locking the charge port in the process.