TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charge port doesn't open with finger poke

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fallen888, Sep 16, 2018.

1. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

I've had my S for two years now and I remember being able to open the charge port with just a finger poke or slight push. Now I noticed in the past couple of weeks that I'm not longer able to do that. Did this feature get removed/changed? Or is my charge port door acting up? If it's broken, I'd like to notify Tesla about it ASAP, because I'm about to hit my 50K in 75 miles. :(

2. MacGreiner

Mine did this around 60k. Took it to service - a simple adjustment and it was good.

• Helpful x 1
  3. Vic_F

Vic_F Member

My 4 week old Model S charge port no longer opens to the touch. Since I use a Juicebox with an adapter to charge at home this is quire annoying. Any ideas to correct?

4. lithiumfire

lithiumfire Member

I believe you can adjust the switch behind the door by turning it counter clockwise. This fixed it for me.

• Helpful x 2
  5. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

I noticed the same thing with mine in the recent past.

6. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

that's what she said

• Funny x 2
  7. thimel

thimel Member

Mine still works fine.

8. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

All fixed! I didn't realize that little, rubber knob can be adjusted/turned. Fixed by twisting it counterclockwise. Also the charger port door is now on the same level with the rest of the car (it was a bit sunken in). :)

• Like x 1
  9. jjh1234

jjh1234 Member

On mine, the tip charge port door was slightly rubbing against the inside of the well that it sits in. The culprit was the seam along the edge of the reflector material of the door. I took a piece of fine sandpaper and knocked the seam off and it worked great after that.

10. Vic_F

Vic_F Member

Turned the button/switch counterclockwise and the finger poke open is working again. Maybe it is on some sort of threaded item underneath.

• Like x 1
  11. G35Rocker

G35Rocker Member

where is this button/switch located? I couldn't find it. But it was kinda dark outside when I looked

• Helpful x 1
  12. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

20181108_132432.jpg

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. G35Rocker

G35Rocker Member

• Like x 1
  14. G35Rocker

G35Rocker Member

I didn't notice that this was for a Model S until I saw the photo. I'm having the issue with a Model 3, but I have found a solution.
    There is a small piece of plastic or metal that falls off from the underside of the port door. I'm not sure what this does, but when it falls off, the door cannot be opened manually. People have reported that gluing the piece back in place will fix this issue. Others have had it fixed by the service center. They will install a new door.

15. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

Congratulations on your new ride! Yea, you've found yourself in the Model S forum :D
    I have seen pics and heard about that issue with the Model 3 Charge Port Door before. I'd definitely give the SC a call and let them know.

16. jhoughton1

jhoughton1 Member

Yes! Thank you, thank you. Since the 3 came out, our local service center has gotten a bit chaotic -- I was dreading going down there for such a piddling (but irritating) thing. Now it's fixed. Thanks again.

• Like x 1