Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port door didn't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at a charger this morning and my charge port door would not open from the car's screen nor my Tesla app. is this a common problem? I finally got it to open by pushing on the door and having it open. After charging, it closed ok. Thank you very much!
Mine is worse. I have to manually push it open. And manually close it. Then it stays open slightly and won’t close no matter what I try.

Had this happen today 1-2-2022. (2013 Model S85). When attempting to open the charge port door (using UMC, touch screen, and mobile app), could hear the mechanism click, but door would not open. Solution was to use my fingers to apply some pressure towards the rear (right) side of the red plastic charge port door, while simultaneously using the mobile app to open the door. I think it's just a function of the spring in the charge port door hinge getting weaker over time. Might be time to replace it (again, had this replaced once before some years ago under warranty). In the past, if I've waited a while and tried again, the door would open. Note that other posts describing the manual release are for cases where the UMC is stuck connected to the car, and not for cases where the charge port door will not open. And on the original Model S's, there isn't anything to "pry" open that wouldn't risk damage.