Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door "Error"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day I got my Model 3 washed in the touchless carwash I always go to, but when I was leaving I noticed an alert on my screen (red circle with !) - the alert says:

"Charge port may not open when pressed - use another method to open charge port."

As far as I can tell, it still works fine, (can open port with phone app and other ways) but the alert on my screen wont go away. Have tried rebooting the screen but it is still there. Has been a few days now. Any thoughts?

[CLARIFICATION:] Note image below is of the full notification - I can make that go away by clicking 'X' but the red circle notification is what wont go away.

Attachments

• IMG_20190612_084941.jpg
    IMG_20190612_084941.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 1,449
The other day I got my Model 3 washed in the touchless carwash I always go to, but when I was leaving I noticed an alert on my screen (red circle with !) - the alert says:

"Charge port may not open when pressed - use another method to open charge port."

As far as I can tell, it still works fine, (can open port with phone app and other ways) but the alert on my screen wont go away. Have tried rebooting the screen but it is still there. Has been a few days now. Any thoughts?

[CLARIFICATION:] Note image below is of the full notification - I can make that go away by clicking 'X' but the red circle notification is what wont go away.

Did your magnet on the inside of the door flap fall out? It is a parallelogram shape magnet. It is a common issue, but I have never seen a UI message around it.

Clearly time for a service request. :)

Did your magnet on the inside of the door flap fall out? It is a parallelogram shape magnet. It is a common issue, but I have never seen a UI message around it.

Clearly time for a service request. :)

I believe I read this somewhere else. The magnet stays stuck at the bottom of the port, but the door is open. The car views these two conflicting data points and puts out that message.

To confirm - the magnet is likely stuck at the bottom right corner of the port as you are looking at it with the door open.

Folks have fixed this themselves by supergluing the magnet back.

Thanks, I checked yesterday and it appears the magnet is still in place. All appears to be working fine, but still have the error. I can open/close port using screen controls, phone app and home charger, so no idea why I am getting this notification. I'm stumped.
IMG_20190612_174732.jpg IMG_20190612_174727.jpg

/bump Update.

I found this old thread again searching for charge port door error and realized this was happening to me again back in June. A few days ago, my charge port door started randomly opening whenever I opened one of the doors or trunk. I go to get in the car, charge port opens. I get home and get out of the car, same thing. It's been doing this for a few days now. Did a reboot, and also a software update, still doing it.

Interestingly, I did recently get my car washed at the same place I noted in my original post. Coincidence? Anyone else ever experience this?

/bump Update.

I found this old thread again searching for charge port door error and realized this was happening to me again back in June. A few days ago, my charge port door started randomly opening whenever I opened one of the doors or trunk. I go to get in the car, charge port opens. I get home and get out of the car, same thing. It's been doing this for a few days now. Did a reboot, and also a software update, still doing it.

Interestingly, I did recently get my car washed at the same place I noted in my original post. Coincidence? Anyone else ever experience this?

It sounds like the car is constantly getting a signal (either wirelessly or from the touch sensor on the charge port door) to open up. It does not act on that while it is asleep. When you touch the trunk or the door it wakes up and acts on it.

Definitely something wrong there to have looked at...

Hi @Wahbash, I’m having the exact same symptoms. How did you finally resolve? Thx.

I don't know how or if he fixed it, but its clear that TMC did not help him much. This isn't exactly a DIY Tesla repair forum.

All Model 3 cars are still under warranty (earliest being sold 2017), and what you probably need is a new door latch assembly. Why fix it yourself when Tesla will do it better for free.

I don't know how or if he fixed it, but its clear that TMC did not help him much. This isn't exactly a DIY Tesla repair forum.

All Model 3 cars are still under warranty (earliest being sold 2017), and what you probably need is a new door latch assembly. Why fix it yourself when Tesla will do it better for free.
Oh simple question. Because if it’s a simple solution, then it may negate a trip to the repair centre. I’m out of reach for mobile service. Having said that, I have made an appointment and I can see Tesla has ordered a charging port door.

Reactions: StevehConwy
Immediately after delivery, I found an alert: “CP_a051 Charge port may not open when pressed. Use another method to open the charge port.” The charge port opened fine using the touch screen or app. I set a service appointment. The next morning the alert was gone. I’m wondering if I should keep the service appointment. I suppose I can see if the alert re-appears in the next few days.

Immediately after delivery, I found an alert: “CP_a051 Charge port may not open when pressed. Use another method to open the charge port.” The charge port opened fine using the touch screen or app. I set a service appointment. The next morning the alert was gone. I’m wondering if I should keep the service appointment. I suppose I can see if the alert re-appears in the next few days.
And then it came back.

I should add that the error notification that I was originally concerned about, warning that the charge port may not open when pressed, came on two different days, then went away for several days before Tesla Service arrived. But they replaced it anyway.
I have the same error message but it won't go away. At least the port isn't opening by itselve and its able to open via app, car and the button on the charger (but not when pressing the lid). Let's see what the service center does with it.

I had this error come up in December on my 2021 Model 3 LR, mobile service replaced my charge port door on January 4th. Usually when this error pops up, water somehow made its way into the sensor for the door. Which was what happened in my case.