TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charge Port Door Needs service

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by MayorJustin, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MayorJustin

MayorJustin Member

I’ve had my Model 3 less than a week, love it.

I was greeted by this error this morning:

Charge Port Door Needs Service

Says to call service, sigh. Anyone have experience with this error? I’d prefer not to bring it in.

Thanks!

2. Sweni

Sweni Member

Had this happen to me 5 days after delivery. Same day as my first car wash. I call, they say its an issue with water getting into the port, a bad seal, and tesla has a new part to fix it. They ordered the new part, and will schedule a time for replacement once the part comes in at my work/home so i dont have to take it to the SC for repair.

• Informative x 1
  3. tropical1

tropical1 Member

I just had this, happened after car wash. It went away next day. Maybe I will need to get service.

• Informative x 1
  4. MayorJustin

MayorJustin Member

Awesome, I'll call them tomorrow. Its currently now just opening / closing constantly if I'm near the car with my phone...pretty funny! Now that you mention it, the door started opening / closing constantly right after my first wash and detail on Sunday.

5. Sweni

Sweni Member

Mine did that random open and close when near it too before I started getting the error. Sounds like the same problem, and seems like a known issue by Tesla, so I would get it recommend getting it replaced as well.

6. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

image.jpg I just got the same error after car wash

7. Railhawk52

Railhawk52 Member

I just got the same error after a car wash. Day 3 of ownership. I’ll call them in the morning.

8. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

It took about 2-3 hours to fix.

9. Sweni

Sweni Member

Still waiting for my part. It’s supposed to come this week, and a ranger should be replacing it.

10. Jsvette56

Jsvette56 Member

I had my M3 in for another issue and they indicated that the charge port door had a service bulletin and it was corrected.

11. Kipp

Kipp Member

During my delivery on Friday, 3/30, my car had this same warning. There was no water involved but they likely washed the car just before delivery. One interesting thing was that it would open and close once but wouldn't open again until after 20-30 seconds. They replaced the charging port in about 90 minutes and afterwards, it didn't exhibit the same failure to open.

12. chilman408

chilman408 Member

Same issue with me today...

Are u sure is not the latest software update?

Annoying

13. Sweni

Sweni Member

I had it before the latest, and it carried over into the latest. Tesla confirmed its a known issue and they have a revision to fix it.

14. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

I will be receiving my 2nd charge port replacement on Monday the 9th. I was told this was a hardware issue. The part has been modified twice. I asked if some seal or new ring could be added. They stated it needed to be replaced with a newly designed part. I would say for people that have it replaced inspect post fix. Not mine, but other owners on other forums have had the paint chipped around port door opening.

I am on the latest and greatest software updates, but has been an issue throughout the last couple. So I would not say software, but hardware. Along with my experience.

Annoying with the idiot light on, Yes. Fun car as heck to drive. Would drive it with 7 lights flashing at me.

15. Sweni

Sweni Member

if they just made it so you can dismiss that error, and just keep the red exclamation point I wouldn't care as much. But that huge error message over the display is just ugh. Still waiting on my part replacement.

• Like x 3
  16. terpharis

terpharis New Member

I had the exact same issue right after going through the full car wash w/ brushes - it went away the next day... then I washed it with a power washer a week later but got the error again, and now it won't go away. Thankfully the function of the door hasn't been impacted yet. New part is on it's way and will be installed Monday.

I guess this isn't serious enough for a recall but seems a lot of us are getting the issues right after a car wash. Hopefully, Telsa will start equipping the new Model 3s with the updated port door that prevents this, or maybe provide more notice about the right and wrong way to wash this beauty! I guess the only "right" way is a good old-fashioned hand wash? Has anyone dared to take it back through a car wash with the new port door?

17. Kenriko

Kenriko Former Vendor

Same issue from time of delivery. They are installing a new part next week.

18. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

DB9E562F-10BA-4D64-B7F9-566AD42E74CF.jpeg Same here. Right after I washed my car for the first time yesterday. Guess I’ll be calling Tesla Service.

19. terpharis

terpharis New Member

Yeah, make the call on Monday, they'll have the part in a few days.

My charge port door service message goes away every once in a while, but always comes back. I have my service appointment on Tuesday to replace the door - I hope that fixes it once and for all... just a nuisance message though as the door functions normally (so far!).

20. Sweni

Sweni Member

Been waiting for my part replacement now for 3+ weeks. Guess I’ll call in again tomorrow and see what is taking so long!