Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door Not Working - Not missing the chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

2018 M3 LR RWD. 90K kms. VIN 29,xxx

Just started a couple days ago, the charge port door is not working. Wont open or close with the app or with the main screen.

I have tried a full reboot (both buttons and brake) and no change.

I have verified that the corner chip is still present. I too lost that early on and it was fixed by a Ranger.

As can be seen in the picture, I can open it by hand and thankfully, the car charges.

The "white", light blue light is always on if the charging cable is not plugged in.

Its cold up here right now, around -3C (26F) but this is my 4th Winter and this has not happened before.

When I close the door by hand, you can see that it is not in the fully closed, locked position. It sticks out a bit and feels loose.

Thanks in advance for any help as I am out of warranty on this one.

IMG_6583.jpg

Vin

Last edited:
Had the same issue on my 2018 P3D. I'm in Texas, so this wasn't a cold temp issue.

Ended up having to replace the charge port door motor assembly. Mobile service was able to do this. Mine was under warranty, so I can't tell you what the retail cost would be.

Had the same issue on my 2018 P3D. I'm in Texas, so this wasn't a cold temp issue.

Ended up having to replace the charge port door motor assembly. Mobile service was able to do this. Mine was under warranty, so I can't tell you what the retail cost would be.
We had the same issue in CA 2018 model 3 LR RWD ,vin 99xx Mobile service 1/2_hour , no charge.

Just had mine replaced, interesting also a 2018 Model 3. Same basic things tried. No prior problems. Posted about it previously. After replacement it worked fine when using handle button until it started acting up again. Would push the handle button and it would start to raise but stop after barely lifting up, almost like it was caught on the frame or something. Sent them photo showing where it stopped along with time of occurrence. Have been able to lift door with fingernail and it would then retract fully. When closing after charging it closes but not fully, again slightly raised.

Set up another mobile appointment and they said they were ordering another part. Received a service message on my app that the parts won’t be in yet so they rescheduled for another week out. Under warranty.

I just had my charge port door changed last month. Apparently a common issue and was changed under warranty. Doesn’t take long to do...usually under an hr.
At first, it randomly wouldn’t open or close by itself and I had to manually pull/push to get it started to open and close. Eventually it totally stopped working and had to manually open/close it fully by hand. At that point it wouldn’t stay flush when closed, was loosely flopping and after a drive it would be a little open. The part didn’t arrive in time for my first appointment so I had to reschedule for a few days later. Apparently they’re replacing a lot of them and are a bit in demand or backordered. If you’re neurotic like me, you can just use some adhesive Velcro to hold the port door flushed when closed, until you get it replaced. Best place to put the Velcro is right next to the chip.

Last edited:
Timely thread. My door hasn't opened form the touchscreen the past couple times I tried to charge, but opened manually or from the button on the charger. I assumed this was a side effect of the new UI, but didn't realize it could be a problem with the door itself.

Thanks for all the responses.

I was supposed to have a ranger come out tomorrow but received a note from service saying that parts are ordered and my appointment is now February 4, 2021.

I will report back on the fix and the cost.

Hope Tesla does something for me as it seems like a common issue for a lot of people regardless of mileage.

Thanks again,

Vin

Add my 2018 August build to the list. It started about 2 weeks ago and I was hoping it was a software issue. After 3 times of driving down the road with the port open it might be time to get it fixed.

Reactions: Vintre
Same here, 2018 LR RWD. Stopped working when I installed 2020.48.35.5 a few days ago. It won't open or close from the app, touchscreen, lightly pressing it, or using my home charger button, but I've had that happen in the past too, and it started working again after the next update.

I emailed Tesla about it this morning, their reply "Regarding the charge port door, there is a current trend with charge port door failure/issue. For cars under warranty we replace the door and it fixes it, but it could potentially fixed by firmware, I just don’t think anyone put the though into the actual issue. If I recall correctly the door + labor is roughly 450$"

I'm long out of warranty (120,000km) but I don't see it's worth $450 to replace when it may be solved by software update.

Hello All,

Final update from me on this issue.

Ranger came out today and replaced the door.

About 20 minute installation.

$309 Canadian.

First repair I had to pay for since getting the car in June 2018, now have 91,000 Kms.

Vin

I had the door fail to open by the charge handle, phone and tapping the door for the first time ever this week. It has worked subsequently without issue. I'd expect the failure mode would be something mechanical breaks, in which case we'd hear the door attempting to actuate. I couldn't hear anything. Maybe it is firmware?

Our March 2021 Model 3 (with just 7,211 miles) charge port door just started acting up. It’s stuck open now but charging works, last week it wouldn’t charge with the connector latch closed with cord out of port so I couldn’t insert cord. Scheduled a mobile service appointment. I guess this charge port door still has quality issues. Too bad, it’s not even something that needs to be motorized. James

Same issue in May of this year. I thought it had to do with the car battery going (the one every car has). Tesla tested everything, said no, and replaced the charge door. Then about 2-3 weeks later, came out to a dead car and it was the car battery. If you can test our your car battery, take a look at it first.