Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door Open (It's Not)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S which wouldn't charge over AC (supercharging worked). I took it in for service and Tesla initially diagnosed it as a bad charge port (corrosion and some other issues) and said they would replace it for ~$1k. They replaced it and then realized that wasn't actually the main problem, it was the master charger. They said they would comp the charge port but the master charger would be ~$2.5k. We had it replaced about 3 years ago so we were kind of irritated. We asked for an explanation of why the charger would die so quickly after being replaced. They just kind of shrugged their shoulders and said it was an old vehicle so it was to be expected.

I didn't really find that acceptable so I decided to take the car back and attempt the repair myself. When we got the car back we noticed that the charge port door vas falsely reading as open. Tesla said that it was an existing problem and that it would be fixed when we completed repairs with them. I asked for them to show evidence that this fault existed before they performed repairs and they ghosted me. I never reported it as a problem, it never showed up as a problem in any of their proposals.

Anyway, long story short I was able to fix the master charger but now I have the stupid charge port door issue. Any thoughts in how to repair this myself or otherwise get Tesla to fix the issue that they caused?

Any thoughts in how to repair this myself or otherwise get Tesla to fix the issue that they caused?
Go into the SC and talk to someone face-to-face. They cant ignore you then and I'd be surprised if they attempt to disregard you and your seemingly reasonable request if you're there in person. They should be able to pull logs to corroborate your observation.