Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port door opening and closing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this has happened to several people, but it was a long time ago. What's your vin range? Did you recently wash the car? I believe some have stated that water gets in there and messes with it. May have to call service

• Helpful
Reactions: Teslie
this has happened to several people, but it was a long time ago. What's your vin range? Did you recently wash the car? I believe some have stated that water gets in there and messes with it. May have to call service

I did actually. I went to one of those pressure washer automatic type. I bet it pushed water in something and it didn't like it. Will see if it goes away in a few days.

Charge door issues due to car washes have come up before. Is there any info on how to keep it from becoming an issue? Should I stick a bunch of paper towels in there before washing it? Temporarily put some type of protective film on it?

Hi all,

Noticed a problem today. My charge port door keeps opening and closing unless the car is in drive or locked. Anyone have this issue? Really don't want to take it in if this is an easy fix (bad connection or something).

Thanks.

You're going to need an exorcist, clearly possessed.

All seriousness though, take it in to the service center. Sounds like the sensor for the charger you press to automagically open it or something is freaking out. This is ignored in the modes you describe such as locked and driving.

Happened to me yesterday. Port would open for 1 second, then immediately closed. Did it about 10 times. Was out in the country so had to charge. Held it open and plugged in charger...with port door resting on charger. Go home and tested again..everything worked fine. I thought maybe being out of cell phone range might have something to do with it..but will take in for service if it reoccurs. Just had charging port assembly replaced 1 month ago so was surprised this happened.

I've been having this problem of the charge port opening when I push the sensor / charging cable button and then the door closes again after about half a second. I have to then wait 5 to 10 seconds to try again and the flap will stay open so that I can charge on the second go. Tesla wants to charge me for a replacement aaargh