TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charge Port door opening and closing

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Insight75, May 9, 2018.

1. Insight75

Insight75 Member

Hi all,

Noticed a problem today. My charge port door keeps opening and closing unless the car is in drive or locked. Anyone have this issue? Really don't want to take it in if this is an easy fix (bad connection or something).

Thanks.

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Maybe try a scroll wheel reset or full power down in case it's a random glitch. Otherwise, it just might be a charge port issue that needs to be checked.

3. rhino2627

rhino2627 Member

Haven't seen that issue, but my charge door would only open halfway on occasion. Tesla mobile service replaced the charge door and it's now working properly.

4. pcpro

pcpro Member

this has happened to several people, but it was a long time ago. What's your vin range? Did you recently wash the car? I believe some have stated that water gets in there and messes with it. May have to call service

• Helpful x 1
  5. Insight75

Insight75 Member

I did actually. I went to one of those pressure washer automatic type. I bet it pushed water in something and it didn't like it. Will see if it goes away in a few days.

6. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

Charge door issues due to car washes have come up before. Is there any info on how to keep it from becoming an issue? Should I stick a bunch of paper towels in there before washing it? Temporarily put some type of protective film on it?

7. Fusion

Fusion Member

Wondering if they would have to add a gasket or if there is even room for that.

8. MarkBrokeIt

MarkBrokeIt Supporting Member

I thought a common complaint people had about the charge door is that it's already sticking out too far because of the existing gasket (and it's "within spec")?

• Like x 1
  9. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

You should hand wash it.

10. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

You're going to need an exorcist, clearly possessed.

All seriousness though, take it in to the service center. Sounds like the sensor for the charger you press to automagically open it or something is freaking out. This is ignored in the modes you describe such as locked and driving.

• Like x 1