Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port door sensor fault CP_w043

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our charge port door had been operating fine since we bought the car a few months ago, but in the last few days the charge port has been opening an closing at odd times. We can still charge it, but it's most annoying to have it pop open when we lock the car, when we unlock the car and other times. This did seem to start right after a software update, however, so maybe that's to blame.

Any suggestions for the error are welcome. I put in a service call, but it will be a while.

Thanks!
IMG20221113163238.jpg
IMG20221113130549.jpg

My 2017 X just had this error a couple of months ago. Eventually, it completely failed and a small electronic card behind the charge port had to be replaced. The part had gotten rusted due to water ingress.

After getting this error code, I also couldn't adjust charge level through the app reliably/consistently. Also, the charge color ring quit lighting up.

The tech who replaced the part said the new one is a newer part (I assume waterproofed better). Also, the issue could be related to using automated car wash... the strong jets could have gotten water behind charge door, etc...

Here is a link that talks about the part:

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon73
Thanks. I should have it looked at then I think. It's always been flaky about self opening when using the push button method on the cable.

Also, while I haven't used any automated car washes (100% hand wash from me), it's clear that the prior owner did use automated car washes, judging by the light scratching, swirl patterns, etc.

Tesla has indicated it will cost $463.59 to fix it.

The tech came out and couldn't fix it. The charge port is malfunctioning and the lights aren't coming on.

Question: Does it make sense to replace the charge port now or wait until the CCS update is available?

I suppose the more important question is if we don't do anything until the CCS update is there a chance we won't be able to charge it?

The tech came out and couldn't fix it. The charge port is malfunctioning and the lights aren't coming on.

Question: Does it make sense to replace the charge port now or wait until the CCS update is available?

I suppose the more important question is if we don't do anything until the CCS update is there a chance we won't be able to charge it?
Malfunctioning lights require the charge port to be replaced. Happened to me on my 2018, mobile service replaced it in minutes. But it does require parts. If your charge port is malfunctioning now, I'd say it is pretty important to get it fixed now.

Well, the mobile tech wasn't able to replace the charge port today. He took apart a bunch of panels and was like, "I might be able to do it, but if not, your car may have to be taken to the Service Center and I don't want to do that to you right before Thanksgiving." He worked on it a good hour taking things apart and putting it back together.

He suggested waiting for the CCS upgrade so they don't have to tear it apart now and then again in January.

What a mess!

But at least there was no charge today. Nice guy too.

So, we will have to live with the dodgy charge port for another couple months at least...

Unless they’re going to reduce the repair cost because you’re having the CCS upgrade done at the same time, I’d have it fixed now. The CCS upgrade is a fixed cost right? The reaper cost is the repair cost. So unless there’sa reasonable savings you’ve gained little by waiting unless you’d be without the car for too long or something.

CCS upgrade will not need to touch your charge port, it's simply using the same thing as the EU retrofit and then change the gateway config in toolbox.

I don't think the problem is due to your charge port either, I have the same problem after a bodyshop wash my car after fixing it (I hit a deer) and I did some troubleshotting and most likely is because of the charge port door assembly. I asked the bodyshop to order the charge port door for me and replace that for me.

• Informative
Thanks for your input. We haven't done anything yet but it's an annoyance for sure. Some more comments after living with it a while.
  • The charge port light works again
  • The car always thinks the charge port door is open, whether it's closed or open.
  • The buttons on NACS cables don't open the port, nor does pushing the button thru the charge port door. I have to unlock the port from the app or the screen to get it to open.

Malfunctioning lights require the charge port to be replaced. Happened to me on my 2018, mobile service replaced it in minutes. But it does require parts. If your charge port is malfunctioning now, I'd say it is pretty important to get it fixed now.
I was told in the past that charge port issues have to be dealt with at the service center since it is part of the HV system. I recently tried to schedule service (for an intermittent issue) and didn’t get mobile options. How did you get mobile service scheduled to address that?

I was told in the past that charge port issues have to be dealt with at the service center since it is part of the HV system. I recently tried to schedule service (for an intermittent issue) and didn’t get mobile options. How did you get mobile service scheduled to address that?
Nothing special. I just described the problem and it came back with mobile service being the soonest. So I took it. It did not take the tech 15 minutes to swap it out.

The charge port is replaced and working, BUT they cracked it up on installation, sigh. I reached out to Service but I'm thinking I don't want them to try and fix it again.
I’m thinking you want it fixed correctly, especially if you paid for the repair. If they broke it while installing it, they should replace it again for no additional charge. Six months from now, I doubt they will be so accommodating.

Our charge port door had been operating fine since we bought the car a few months ago, but in the last few days the charge port has been opening an closing at odd times. We can still charge it, but it's most annoying to have it pop open when we lock the car, when we unlock the car and other times. This did seem to start right after a software update, however, so maybe that's to blame.

Any suggestions for the error are welcome. I put in a service call, but it will be a while.

Thanks!View attachment 874306View attachment 874307

You can rapair it for 3$

Reactions: Gtech