Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port door sticking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3/17 Model S, today I had an issue with my charge port door not opening. Clicking the HPWC button initiates a 'click' but nothing happened with the door even after several tries. Unlocked car with all handles out, same thing, tried in mobile app, same thing, tried on MCU, same thing. Applying pressure on the hinge side eventually got it to open and I was able to charge. Is this a widespread issue? Is there a problem with something binding up in the mechanism? Will get it addressed at SC but just curious about others experiences in this regard.

Mine seems to be biased downward so that the bottom edge of the charge door rubs on the painted fender. It’s rubbed the paint off a little. I pulled straight upward on it today and seem to have moved the entire charge port assembly up a fraction of a mm and the door isn’t sticking. Anyone know the best way to get at it from inside the trunk? I imagine if I loosen the entire assy from inside the fender I could move it up a whole mm and never have problem with it again.

Its pretty simple. Just remove the clips retaining the cover inside the rear trunk you'll see the mounting points you need to loosen to adjust.

Mine seems to be biased downward so that the bottom edge of the charge door rubs on the painted fender. It’s rubbed the paint off a little. I pulled straight upward on it today and seem to have moved the entire charge port assembly up a fraction of a mm and the door isn’t sticking. Anyone know the best way to get at it from inside the trunk? I imagine if I loosen the entire assy from inside the fender I could move it up a whole mm and never have problem with it again.

Reactions: ai4px
Its pretty simple. Just remove the clips retaining the cover inside the rear trunk you'll see the mounting points you need to loosen to adjust.

Is this the fix for a first gen Model S? When I looked in the trunk I found the charge port itself, which could be loosened with four torx screws. Does that also adjust the door?

I thought I read the fix involved removing the tail light and adjusting the door assembly from the outside of the car.

I really just need to move the assembly or door edge up 1/16-1/8" to prevent occasional sticking.

Is this the fix for a first gen Model S? When I looked in the trunk I found the charge port itself, which could be loosened with four torx screws. Does that also adjust the door?

I thought I read the fix involved removing the tail light and adjusting the door assembly from the outside of the car.

I really just need to move the assembly or door edge up 1/16-1/8" to prevent occasional sticking.
tail light needs to come off to get full access to replace and adjust.