TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Charge Port Door: The Saga Part IV

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by scaesare, Jul 24, 2017.

1. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

So, yet another failure for my charge port door:

- Initial failure was the adhesive pad holding the round metal disk separating, and the door springing open while the disk was still attached to the port electromagnetic latch while activated. Tesla replaced under warranty, about a year in.

- Same as above. Tesla replaced yet again. Approx.. year two.

- Failed a third time (it happens when it gets hot). Not under warranty this time as I was outside the mileage limit. I scraped all the existing adhesive out and used two-part epoxy (being carful to align the disc flush on the latch, otherwise the car thinks the port is open). This epoxy is tough stuff, so clearly it will now hold forever.

- 4 days ago it happened again. I'm in year 4. ~100 degree weather with high humidity around here. The epoxy softened, and the smooth disc pulled out of the door again. I was heading out for a road trip, and had a roll of 3/4" wide 3M double-backed adhesive foam tape. I cut out the correct diameter by pressing the disc on one side and trimming around it. Peeled the other side and set it in to the port door. It held all 3 days down in Richmond with _HOT_ weather.

At this point I will plan on this being an annual event. I have 25' of the adhesive tape, so I should be good until 2045 or so.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Pics or it didn't happen :)

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

This is why Chevrolet went manual on the Volt and Tesla's going manual on the Model 3.

• Disagree x 2
  5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

It has already been confirmed that the Model 3 has an automatic charge door.

• Like x 1
  6. kev1n

kev1n Member

have you tried 3m molding tape? this is stuff they use on deck lid spoilers and side skirts. it should hold up to heat better

7. scaesare

Hmm... at this point the disc is back on the port door and you can't see much.

I can snap you a shot of the adhesive tape trimmings if you'd like!

8. scaesare

No... I'll order some for next year, lol.

9. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

My saga was no less than SIX replaced door handles. What a pointless, needless, waste of engineering time these things are. I'd take the door handles on my Tahoe over these any day.