TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charge Port Door will not stay closed

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by GregoryWelch, Jul 18, 2015.

1. GregoryWelch

GregoryWelch Member

Noticed an issue today with my 70D. Charge port was open. I could not "push" it closed, so I used the Tesla App to close port. Port opened back up after about 5 seconds. I closed port with touchscreen and port reopened. I rebooted touchscreen and port closed, then reopens. I also pushed the button on my HPWC and the port will close, but reopens. I also noticed the white light on the charge port stays on when the port closed. Any idea what to try next? Thanks.

2. Phil K

Phil K Member

Try give it a little push after it closes and see. And try cleaning the contacts.

Could be something requiring service though.

3. GregoryWelch

GregoryWelch Member

The charge port is clean, I don't think this is an "obstruction" issue. Now the car opens the port about every 5 seconds, closes the port for about 2 seconds then repeats. It does this for several minutes, then "rests" in the open position. After about 5 minutes the cycle starts again.

4. Lump

Lump Active Member

Check to see if the round magnet became unglued from the charge port door & is now stuck on the car, I attempted to re-glue mine but turns out it has to be placed perfectly or else the sensor won't detect it...service center replaced the door after driving around for a few days with it open.

5. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

I had this issue with my Dec 2012 production Model S (yes, before the charge port could close, back then they where manually closed). Turns out it was the steel plate on the door, was a bit rusted, and the sensor could't detect the door being closed. Tesla service replaced the entire charge port.

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

70D has motorized automatic charge port door--not the old magnet and solenoid system like on my S85.

7. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

No worries - happened to my unmotorized charge port door in less than 3 months of ownership. Frustratingly intermittent, it was. Service elected to replace the port, which included the door. No problems since.

Schedule an appointment with Service and all will be well.

8. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Physical misalignment of some part of the port. Call the service center, they'll fix it (possibly by replacing the port door).