Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door will not stay closed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed an issue today with my 70D. Charge port was open. I could not "push" it closed, so I used the Tesla App to close port. Port opened back up after about 5 seconds. I closed port with touchscreen and port reopened. I rebooted touchscreen and port closed, then reopens. I also pushed the button on my HPWC and the port will close, but reopens. I also noticed the white light on the charge port stays on when the port closed. Any idea what to try next? Thanks.

The charge port is clean, I don't think this is an "obstruction" issue. Now the car opens the port about every 5 seconds, closes the port for about 2 seconds then repeats. It does this for several minutes, then "rests" in the open position. After about 5 minutes the cycle starts again.

Check to see if the round magnet became unglued from the charge port door & is now stuck on the car, I attempted to re-glue mine but turns out it has to be placed perfectly or else the sensor won't detect it...service center replaced the door after driving around for a few days with it open.

I had this issue with my Dec 2012 production Model S (yes, before the charge port could close, back then they where manually closed). Turns out it was the steel plate on the door, was a bit rusted, and the sensor could't detect the door being closed. Tesla service replaced the entire charge port.

Check to see if the round magnet became unglued from the charge port door & is now stuck on the car, I attempted to re-glue mine but turns out it has to be placed perfectly or else the sensor won't detect it...service center replaced the door after driving around for a few days with it open.

70D has motorized automatic charge port door--not the old magnet and solenoid system like on my S85.

No worries - happened to my unmotorized charge port door in less than 3 months of ownership. Frustratingly intermittent, it was. Service elected to replace the port, which included the door. No problems since.

Schedule an appointment with Service and all will be well.

Noticed an issue today with my 70D. Charge port was open. I could not "push" it closed, so I used the Tesla App to close port. Port opened back up after about 5 seconds. I closed port with touchscreen and port reopened. I rebooted touchscreen and port closed, then reopens. I also pushed the button on my HPWC and the port will close, but reopens. I also noticed the white light on the charge port stays on when the port closed. Any idea what to try next? Thanks.

Physical misalignment of some part of the port. Call the service center, they'll fix it (possibly by replacing the port door).

how to solve the issue, i have the same problem ,it is really annoyed me also!

I personally encountered this behavior several times after having just washed the car. Seems moisture was getting into the enclosure of the changing port and would not stay closed. Drying it thoroughly resolved the issue. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the answer.

My Model X door has refused to close for several days now even after rebooting and manually closing it. The dash says to replace it.
One thing that does close it is a swift slap from right to left while it is open. This actually kept it closed! I opened it and closed it 4 times in a row like this. It's a good short term solution until you can get it replaced.

I started getting this problem yesterday. Emailed the Service Center and am waiting for the response. The door stays partially open.

Attachments

• IMG_1744.JPG
    IMG_1744.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 274
I have the same problem on my Model X. What was the solution for fixing this?
As mentioned a few of us have had this issue. It has normally been corrosion interfering with contact. Everyone I know of, including me, have had the charge door replaced. Mine was done when I was charging at a collocated SC, mentioned the problem to a service advisor. The replacement was done in a few minutes.