Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port door won’t open with wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately my 2018 Model 3 charge port door has not been responding when I aim the HPWC button at it. My 2019 works fine. Both are running 2019.32.2.2. Has anyone else observed this?

It opens fine using the car screen and the app. It also opens if I just lightly tap it with my finger, although I’m not sure if that is something you are supposed to do or if that might cause damage to the door?

Only times I’ve seen this is when someone is in the car. Seems that recently (months) it wants to be sure it’s *this* car you want to open so you need to be out of the car (not thinking about the case of someone else opening the port for the driver).

I thought our 3’s cover was stuck until I figured this out. GF comes home and I often put in the HPWC and cover won’t open. If the gets out, no problem.

I have had no problems getting mine to open with the HPWC button. But the screen has always ben flaky for me; usually it requiring multiple button pushes to get it to open from the screen. most of the time I don't bother because it's frustrating to push the button on the screen, get out of the car, then realize it didn't open.

It might also be related to the glitch I’ve had on 13.2.2 where my phone key doesn’t work. I have to manually open the app sometimes to unlock it that way. If the charge port isn’t detecting my phone for the locks, it seems reasonable to think it won’t get it for the charge port door.

I have had no problems getting mine to open with the HPWC button. But the screen has always ben flaky for me; usually it requiring multiple button pushes to get it to open from the screen. most of the time I don't bother because it's frustrating to push the button on the screen, get out of the car, then realize it didn't open.

Could be caused by screen protector??

I've had no problems with my Mobile Connector (although I've only used it a few times, since I use a Clipper Creek EVSE at home), but most Superchargers don't work for me. In fact, a Supercharger stop on a recent road trip was the first time (of half a dozen or more attempts) that a Supercharger has worked to open the charging flap for me.

For me, it's no great hardship; I just tap the charging flap with my hand and it opens; or I use the screen before getting out of the car (although then, if I close the car's door, the flap closes so quickly that I might not have time to plug in before that happens). Tapping the flap is an approved way of opening the flap -- it's mentioned in the manual, with no caveats or warnings against doing it this way on a regular basis. Note that owners, like me, who have J1772 EVSEs don't have the option of using the button on the EVSE's car-side plug to open the flap; we must rely on another method to open the charge port flap.

Presumably the button on the charge handle sends out a short-range radio signal that the car receives. My hypothesis is that my car's receiver is barely sensitive enough to detect a signal that's even slightly weaker than intended, and that many Superchargers' signals are weak enough to be iffy for my car. Presumably swapping out a component in the car would fix the problem, but it's not enough of an issue for me to call for service. I might mention it when I take my car in for routine service, though.

I have this as well. Works sometimes, not other times. I find that (contrary to somebody else's experience above) I need to open a car door in order to wake the car up, and then it sometimes works.
I've also had a problem using the button to unlock the cable so that I can take it out.

I have this as well. Works sometimes, not other times. I find that (contrary to somebody else's experience above) I need to open a car door in order to wake the car up, and then it sometimes works.
I've also had a problem using the button to unlock the cable so that I can take it out.

It's always been like this. Instead of completely opening a door or truck, you can partially depress on any of the handles (left rear passenger is most convenient) so that the door doesn't open, but it wakes up and unlocks the car.

It's always been like this. Instead of completely opening a door or truck, you can partially depress on any of the handles (left rear passenger is most convenient) so that the door doesn't open, but it wakes up and unlocks the car.

Kind of makes the button on the charger a bit useless though doesn't it? If you have to start opening or at least touching doors, you might as well also start touching the charge cover to open it, which is what I've started to do.

That's not accurate. This behaviour is a regression. The button will open the charge port and disconnect as long as the key fob or mobile key is within the designated zone.

Kind of makes the button on the charger a bit useless though doesn't it? If you have to start opening or at least touching doors, you might as well also start touching the charge cover to open it, which is what I've started to do.

If it were the case that you had to open the car, I'd agree however this isn't the case.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311 and SJC3
Mine only works if I open a door first or manually wake up the car with the app.

That's not accurate. This behaviour is a regression. The button will open the charge port and disconnect as long as the key fob or mobile key is within the designated zone.
That's how it's supposed to work. Very common for it not to though.

Reactions: drewpost