TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charge port door won't open when car is sleeping

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Racerx22b, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

When the car is sleeping and I approach my vehicle with my HPWC in hand and press the button on the cable nothing happens. I allow the car to "go to sleep" in order to minimize vampire loss as it sits for many days when I travel for work. This is really annoying. The only way to resolve this is for me to approach car with my key so it wakes up. Then, and only then, will pressing the button on the charging cable open the charge port door. Or not allow it to "sleep".

Is this normal?

Am I doing something wrong?

Advice appreciated.

2. outie

outie Active Member

Normal. Typical Tesla usability issue.

3. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

Is the car sleeping or locked when in your garage?

If locked, then this is per designed behavior.

If just sleeping, yah that's a pain but the app will also open the charge door if your phone is with you.

4. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Our 2015 Model S P85D charge port door OPENS when I press the button on our Gen 1 Tesla HPWC... which is contrary to your experience so I'd contact Tesla to ask why.

What bugs me now is I USED to be able to UNLOCK the Charge Port from my Tesla iOS app when charging was complete and the car was locked... but not any more. Now I have to UNLOCK the car just to get the Charge Port to UNLOCK the Tesla HPWC... VERY frustrating step backwards.

Does anybody else have this problem UNLOCKING their charge port via the iOS app?

5. outie

outie Active Member

Same here. There's always something with every update.

6. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

The car is locked. So is my Model S which is parked right beside it. The Model S is DOES NOT have sleep mode on as it doesn't lose much to vampire but my Model X does.

Anyway, on my Gen 1 HPWC when I press the button the charge port door always opens on the S but won't open on the X. Locked or unlocked doesn't matter.

7. Kwat

Kwat Member

Wake it up by tapping the fob twice then the HPWC will open the charge port once the car is awake.

8. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Doesn't tapping the fob twice unlock the Tesla and turn it on? If so that's what I'm trying to prevent. All I want is to unlock my HPWC from the charge port using the Tesla iOS app...

9. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

Yeah, we know this. The point is we don't want to gave to bring our key or tap the unlock button (especially cause my driver door opens when I do this). I just want the stupid door to open without having to "wake up" the car.

10. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I would say it's a security issue to have the car unlock the charge port once finished charging. If you're charging in public, someone would be able to steal your adapter.

11. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

No we're not suggesting the Charge Port be unlocked after charging is complete automatically... But when I press the Unlock Charge Port button I DO want the Tesla iOS app to unlock the Charge Port without having to unlock my Tesla with the iOS app or key fob first !!! Right now the Charge Port on my 2015 P85D flashes light blue for a split second and sounds like it quickly unlocks the Charge Port... but doesn't. 8-(

• Like x 1