Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port door won't open when car is sleeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Racerx22b

@unplggdd on Instagram
Nov 17, 2014
West Palm Beach, FL
When the car is sleeping and I approach my vehicle with my HPWC in hand and press the button on the cable nothing happens. I allow the car to "go to sleep" in order to minimize vampire loss as it sits for many days when I travel for work. This is really annoying. The only way to resolve this is for me to approach car with my key so it wakes up. Then, and only then, will pressing the button on the charging cable open the charge port door. Or not allow it to "sleep".

Is this normal?

Am I doing something wrong?

Advice appreciated.

When the car is sleeping and I approach my vehicle with my HPWC in hand and press the button on the cable nothing happens. I allow the car to "go to sleep" in order to minimize vampire loss as it sits for many days when I travel for work. This is really annoying. The only way to resolve this is for me to approach car with my key so it wakes up. Then, and only then, will pressing the button on the charging cable open the charge port door. Or not allow it to "sleep".

Is this normal?

Am I doing something wrong?

Advice appreciated.

Our 2015 Model S P85D charge port door OPENS when I press the button on our Gen 1 Tesla HPWC... which is contrary to your experience so I'd contact Tesla to ask why.

What bugs me now is I USED to be able to UNLOCK the Charge Port from my Tesla iOS app when charging was complete and the car was locked... but not any more. Now I have to UNLOCK the car just to get the Charge Port to UNLOCK the Tesla HPWC... VERY frustrating step backwards.

Does anybody else have this problem UNLOCKING their charge port via the iOS app?

Our 2015 Model S P85D charge port door OPENS when I press the button on our Gen 1 Tesla HPWC... which is contrary to your experience so I'd contact Tesla to ask why.

What bugs me now is I USED to be able to UNLOCK the Charge Port from my Tesla iOS app when charging was complete and the car was locked... but not any more. Now I have to UNLOCK the car just to get the Charge Port to UNLOCK the Tesla HPWC... VERY frustrating step backwards.

Does anybody else have this problem UNLOCKING their charge port via the iOS app?
Same here. There's always something with every update.

The car is locked. So is my Model S which is parked right beside it. The Model S is DOES NOT have sleep mode on as it doesn't lose much to vampire but my Model X does.

Anyway, on my Gen 1 HPWC when I press the button the charge port door always opens on the S but won't open on the X. Locked or unlocked doesn't matter.

I would say it's a security issue to have the car unlock the charge port once finished charging. If you're charging in public, someone would be able to steal your adapter.

No we're not suggesting the Charge Port be unlocked after charging is complete automatically... But when I press the Unlock Charge Port button I DO want the Tesla iOS app to unlock the Charge Port without having to unlock my Tesla with the iOS app or key fob first !!! Right now the Charge Port on my 2015 P85D flashes light blue for a split second and sounds like it quickly unlocks the Charge Port... but doesn't. 8-(

Reactions: vandacca