Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port door won't register as "closed"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like the charge port needs to be replaced to me, but I usually get an error similar to the following:

Charge Port Error.JPG

I've had this happen at Superchargers before. It's especially irritating when it results in a "Charge door is open" alert as you drive away from the charger (maybe 50% of the time).

My workaround "habit" is to close the charge door manually after removing the charge wand (hear magnet click, but no port-lock thunk), reopen the door using the wand button, and then reclose the door (now I hear both the click & thunk).

Edit: March 2014 P85, in case that's relevant.

My real question is- has anyone else seen this issue, and if so, what was the cause and cure?

Yes I have had this issue. (2013 S85.) Seems like there is a state the software can get in where its "belief" as to the actual state of the chargeport door does not comport with reality and is in fact the complete opposite. It happened maybe 18 months ago and I immediately called Tesla's 800 number. Can't remember what did the trick to fix the problem but many reboots and occasional tapping Open Charge Port button from the charge display on 17" screen.. something made it right again.

Reactions: kevinf311
I experienced this late last year. The cause turned out to be that i had just washed the vehicle and had failed to dry the inside of the charging port. Yes it does prevent you from leaving the charging stall, but that is user error. Dry and clean the inside of the port and you should not see this problem anymore. Never had an issue since.

Thanks for these ideas...but they don't seem to apply...the locking clunk doesn't happen, so the message is accurate...however, just did a long trip, and Supercharging seemed to fix it...I get the "clunk" and no message...maybe the heating from Supercharging loosened up whatever wasn't moving...we'll see as I switch back to my wall charger this week...

Well...I brought it in, and based on my description, they replaced the charge port. They decided that it was the sensor behind the magnet in the port. It only gave the message when it was cold out, and we are now in a hot spell, so it may be a long while before I can truly know it is fixed...(they didn't replace the charge port door, which they think is OK).

I have the same issue with my charge port (non powered). Dash and MCU will intermittently show "charge port open" but door/release button are fully functional, the port has never physically opened on its own. It first appeared intermittently during winter rains but now that the weather warmed up, the alert is back and stays on longer before going away on its own.

Local SC took a look and told me the only thing that would cause intermittent alerts is the charge port magnet/sensor. Tech was unable to reproduce the error by wiggling/tapping the port door, but ordered a replacement charge port/door assembly anyway.

If you re-glued the magnet in the chargeport door, it has an orientation to the one in the other side. If not oriented properly it will give an error.
I did have a situation where the magnet separated from the chargeport door. I did re-epoxy the magnet on and certainly put the magnet back on with the "dirty" side being epoxied to the door. Is there any more of an orientation that that? However I am getting the error chargeport door open after trying the reset steps....thoughts?