Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port indicator says door open, but it's not...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning, I noticed that the dash (and center) display indicate that the charge port door is open, when it is closed.

photo (1).JPG

I've tried opening it with the center display and then closing it again, but it still says it's open. I've also tried resetting the center display.

Any ideas?

I noticed this early on (I do have a very early Model S), but I've found that closing the charge port door firmly and quickly will initiate an audible "snap" within about a 1/2 second when the electro-magnet engages letting you know that the door is properly latched. If you don't hear this, open the charge port again with the console or charge cable, and close it again.

Got this problem on a facelift that was literally JUST delivered... REALLY!!

Took delivery and started driving then indicator says charge port opened when it's actually closed... Tried cleaning magnet, resetting Centre console, resetting dash and everything but still having the issue... Really annoying!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 118
Got this problem on a facelift that was literally JUST delivered... REALLY!!

Took delivery and started driving then indicator says charge port opened when it's actually closed... Tried cleaning magnet, resetting Centre console, resetting dash and everything but still having the issue... Really annoying!!
Happened to my car too, will call Tesla tomorrow

Happened to my car too, will call Tesla tomorrow

FIXED!

@OreotheCat tell them to try fix it over the air for you so you can save the trip to Tsuen Wan... unless you want to go there... haha

I took it to the service centre y'day and they fixed the charge port door issue almost right away! (took like half an hour for them to park my car and run data)

Service told me initially that the fix may take a day or two but turned out it was only a matter of setting for the charge port door sensor. The engineer simply set the sensor sensitivity higher and problem was fixed (meaning it could have been done over the air)

Obviously if the sensor is dead then it's a different issue... but one test you can carry to see if it was a dead or insensitive sensor is try pushing the charge port door in fully (completely compressing the spring on the car magnet) and watch your dash or centre screen to see if it senses the charge poor door closure. In my case, before the fix my car was able to sense the charge port door closure when the door is pushed and held in, indicating it was an insensitive sensor rather than a dead sensor...

Really hope this helps as it kept me annoyed and confused for days!

Now everything is so much better having the left side of my dash back where Navi instructions and "now playing" is shown! And of course not needing to guess if my charge poor door is indeed open or not...

Last edited:
This morning, I noticed that the dash (and center) display indicate that the charge port door is open, when it is closed.

View attachment 55486

I've tried opening it with the center display and then closing it again, but it still says it's open. I've also tried resetting the center display.

Any ideas?

FIXED!

I took it to the service centre y'day and they fixed the charge port door issue almost right away! (took like half an hour for them to park my car and run data)

Service told me initially that the fix may take a day or two but turned out it was only a matter of setting for the charge port door sensor. The engineer simply set the sensor sensitivity higher and problem was fixed (meaning it could have been done over the air)

Obviously if the sensor is dead then it's a different issue... but one test you can carry to see if it was a dead or insensitive sensor is try pushing the charge port door in fully (completely compressing the spring on the car magnet) and watch your dash or centre screen to see if it senses the charge poor door closure. In my case, before the fix my car was able to sense the charge port door closure when the door is pushed and held in, indicating it was an insensitive sensor rather than a dead sensor...

Now everything is so much better having the left side of my dash back where Navi instructions and "now playing" is shown! And of course not needing to guess if my charge poor door is indeed open or not...

Last edited:
FIXED!

@OreotheCat tell them to try fix it over the air for you so you can save the trip to Tsuen Wan... unless you want to go there... haha

Tried, actually, autopilot and charge port is gone, I think autopilot was fix ota, but the charge port wasn't, anyway, I need to go back for charger upgrade