TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charge Port issue (physically loose)

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by Peter.h, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Peter.h

Peter.h Electric Newbie

I discovered yesterday that the actual socket in the charge port on our new roadster is physically coming loose - it flexes into the car when you connect the charge cable.

I seem to recall seeing a post about this issue before but can't find now.

Has this happened to anyone before? What is the typical fix? (Anything I can do myself or does it need to go to the SC?)

2. ExecMotorwerkz

the Charge Port needs to be Rebonded. for this typical concern we would sublet it a body shop since they use a strong body epoxy

• Informative x 1
  3. Peter.h

Peter.h Electric Newbie

That's super helpful. Do you have a suggestion for a body shop in your area? I seem to recall you are in Torrance?

4. ExecMotorwerkz

I'm located in Gardena
    This is my shop address
    14117 s Western Ave unit c
    Gardena CA 90249
    323-577-9706 ask for Javier

If you like I can have a look at it

5. AtAge19

AtAge19 Member

You have 1 New Message (✓ PM’s).

6. erericic

erericic Member

I am having the same problem. Charge port light ring is loose from body panel. Which epoxy should I use as I am in a small community with very little access to anyone who I trust to work on my car.
    Thanks,
    Eric

7. Peter.h

Peter.h Electric Newbie

I used 3M panel bond: 3M 08115 Panel Adhesive & 3M 08571 Manual Applicator Gun w/ABN Sticker [Misc.] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSF9TCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_z4-lEbFPQA9AC

I did the repair about a year ago and it's holding up perfectly.

I first waited until the plug had come completely lose. Then pushed it in and I took a rag and cotton swabs with alcohol and cleaned the mating surface between body and plug.

I then applied the panel bond from the outside into the gap between body and plug. Then I plugged in my can adapter and used that to pull the plug out and I inserted a piece of wood behind the plug (through the open trunk) to keep pressure on the bond for a few hours. Let it set over night.

Panel bond is not cheap, but it's a fantastic product.

• Like x 1
  8. erericic

erericic Member

perfect, just what I wanted to know. I will try it. And thanks for the instructions... I did not want to remove the trunk if I could avoid it.

9. Tex EV

Tex EV Member

Going in from behind the panel isn't terribly hard. Just need to remove the rear deck (body panel between trunk and rear glass). Open trunk, remove four bolts from rear deck, remove one bolt holding coolant reservoir in place and push to the side. Grab the rear deck and pull straight toward the back of the car. It's held in by clips under the rear window and will pop out. Once out of the way, the charge port is accessible.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. drewski

drewski Supporting Member

This service bullitin has picture instructions and the recommended adhesives

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  11. CAR3NUT

CAR3NUT Supporting Member

@drewski , did you find that in the info I sent you? If you did I'm glad it being useful.

12. drewski

drewski Supporting Member

Yes, I need to give you the credit! :oops:

13. CAR3NUT

CAR3NUT Supporting Member

No credit needed, enjoy.