Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody just looking to see if anyone has had a similar problem. Currently on hold with Tesla service to see if they can help me out.
So my charge port on my 2013 Model S is not working properly and I am unable to charge. The door will open but it seems like the port will not unlock. The ring light around the port will not come on. I am unable to insert the charging cord. I do hear a clicking sound but nothing is happening.
All this happened after the car downloaded the version 9 software.
I have rebooted the main screen and I have also fully powered down the car for 2 minutes. No change. Not sure what else I can do.

If Tesla can't figure anything out over the phone then I am looking to replace the charge port myself. Before I do this I wanted to see if anyone had something similar occur.
Thanks in advance

After speaking with Tesla he asked about the metal tab that locks and unlocks the port. I realized that the tab was not moving. I pushed on it and it went down and the port unlocked. When I plugged in the cord it would not lock thus not a full connection and charging at a reduced rate.
After messing with the tab a little more the tab finally locked with the cord but now it wouldn't unlock!!! Left the car overnight and in the morning everything was working for the most part. Sometimes it would not unlock when opening the charge port.
Currently it is working. Tesla was suppose to send over info about the cost of replacement but I haven't received the email yet.
I will most likely replace the port on my own.

So I purchased a used charge port form Ebay. I installed it after fulling powering down the car from the main screen. I turned on the car after installation and the car had multiple warning messages:
"Tesla needs service"
"Unable to charge"
"Software update required"

Frustrated at this point I examined my original part and the small metal tab that unlocks and locks the port seemed to be sticking. So I sprayed it with some WD40 and that seemed to loosen the tab. I took out the ebay part and re-installed my original charge port. This time when I started up the car there were no warnings and the car started up totally fine. Plus the charge port was working just fine. Able to charge and the tab was unlocking and locking appropriately.

So just wondering if anyone has attempted changing the port. I find it hard to believe that I need a software update to activate the new charge port. Just want to know if the ebay charge port is a dud or I am missing something.

The firmware version for the replacement charge port likely differed from what the car expected causing the errors. Redeploying the firmware would probably fix it. Sadly there is no official user accessible way to do that. Only the service center can do it or you can try hacking (rooting) your car to do it yourself but Tesla makes that more difficult with every update.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vip
The firmware version for the replacement charge port likely differed from what the car expected causing the errors. Redeploying the firmware would probably fix it. Sadly there is no official user accessible way to do that. Only the service center can do it or you can try hacking (rooting) your car to do it yourself but Tesla makes that more difficult with every update.
I’m guessing it was horrible timing as I just updated the car with version 9. Wonder if it would have worked if I didn’t update the car?
Oh well, at least my charge port is working and now I know how to change the port. Plus I didn’t have to spend $500+ on a new one.
This forum is great. I have learned to fix things on my own which has saved me a lot of money.

Reactions: eprosenx
Hard to tell when they last updated the charge port firmware (they touch a lot of modules in most updates) and when that charge port was taken out of service, but it could have been any minor update causing the mismatch. Interesting part though, if you let it perform a scheduled update with the replacement port in place it would likely correct the mismatch error.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vip
Hard to tell when they last updated the charge port firmware (they touch a lot of modules in most updates) and when that charge port was taken out of service, but it could have been any minor update causing the mismatch. Interesting part though, if you let it perform a scheduled update with the replacement port in place it would likely correct the mismatch error.
Then my original port will not match the firmware. Can’t win them all.

Resurrecting this thread in the hopes someone out there might be able to give me any additional tips on a charge port replacement. I’ve got a 2013 P85 out of warranty and Tesla quoted me $850 to replace the charge port. The latch isn’t engaging the charging cable. Anyway, I got a used part on eBay for $75 and am going to do it myself. The hardware swap seems pretty straightforward but I’ve heard that I’ll need to configure the part with a firmware redeploy which I’m working on getting Tesla to push OTA so I have it staged and ready to go once the working part is swapped in. Does anyone have any advice, experience, tips on anything related to what I’ve mentioned above. Thanks in advance for any help provided. I’m planning on doing the work when my part arrives on Saturday. Cheers!

Resurrecting this thread in the hopes someone out there might be able to give me any additional tips on a charge port replacement. I’ve got a 2013 P85 out of warranty and Tesla quoted me $850 to replace the charge port. The latch isn’t engaging the charging cable. Anyway, I got a used part on eBay for $75 and am going to do it myself. The hardware swap seems pretty straightforward but I’ve heard that I’ll need to configure the part with a firmware redeploy which I’m working on getting Tesla to push OTA so I have it staged and ready to go once the working part is swapped in. Does anyone have any advice, experience, tips on anything related to what I’ve mentioned above. Thanks in advance for any help provided. I’m planning on doing the work when my part arrives on Saturday. Cheers!
follow directions in the manual its pretty straight forward, biggest thing is making sure you pull the 12v and the firemans loop as descried in the manual. last thing you want it is to short something out or zap yourself with 400v.
I dono about how the flash will work but its worth a shot, just know that if it doesn't work you will not be able to charge via any means till it gets flashed.