Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my car wouldn't start today because the car insisted the charge port was open when it wasn't. The car also wouldn't let me open or close the charge port via the mobile app or the in car screen. Got a service call booked in for Wednesday

Anyone else had this issue?

I have a feeling this may be related to the magnet or sensor that detects the charge door being closed. I think it's happened before, and seem to recall someone making a temporary fix by taping a magnet over the sensor. I can't remember now where I read this though, I'm afraid.

You could try plugging the UMC into a 13a socket and see if the button on the lead opens the chargeport? Failing that, I think there is a physical emergency release tab behind the lining inside the boot lining. Although that is to release the charge cable I don't know if it also opens the door, but might be worth a try?

See second post on here - Tesla 3 charging door won't open

I had a very similar or exact issue @spartanheed

The car was adamant a charger was plugged in and wouldn't allow me to drive. My temporary fix was to set the climate control to max from the app and it took a good 30 - 40 mins to allow me to eventually get it to a drivable state. My service center appointment got changed 3 times. First was from a mobile - SC (understandable), second the advisor didn't attach notes from my call to them regarding the problem (I didn't deem it necessary to SMS them the logs following our call), third was due to parts not arriving in time and they added another 3 weeks the day before my apt. The charge port then stopped opening/ closing but would allow me to manually open it to charge it up.

I lost all patience when I got stuck in a supermarket (already waited 40 mins to get there) and was late to a few appointments as the car wouldn't move. When I eventually made it home and I got them to recover it from the drive. Fortunately, the recovery driver waiting for the car to be moved off the drive and onto the truck

Turns out they didn't need to wait 3 weeks after all and it was due to a faulty charge port ECU. Once they replaced this, so far so good.

Edited to add the video

Last edited:
I had a very similar or exact issue @spartanheed

The car was adamant a charger was plugged in and wouldn't allow me to drive. My temporary fix was to set the climate control to max from the app and it took a good 30 - 40 mins to allow me to eventually get it to a drivable state. My service center appointment got changed 3 times. First was from a mobile - SC (understandable), second the advisor didn't attach notes from my call to them regarding the problem (I didn't deem it necessary to SMS them the logs following our call), third was due to parts not arriving in time and they added another 3 weeks the day before my apt. The charge port then stopped opening/ closing but would allow me to manually open it to charge it up.

I lost all patience when I got stuck in a supermarket (already waited 40 mins to get there) and was late to a few appointments as the car wouldn't move. When I eventually made it home and I got them to recover it from the drive. Fortunately, the recovery driver waiting for the car to be moved off the drive and onto the truck

Turns out they didn't need to wait 3 weeks after all and it was due to a faulty charge port ECU. Once they replaced this, so far so good.

Edited to add the video
Hey mate, I have this exact problem and the car is stuck in the garage in park. How did you get your to work enough to move it? By max do you mean HI temperature or max cold? Thanks