Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So over the last few days my charge port has been acting more and more strange.
First it wouldn't unlock the plug unless I double apped he key to unlock the car even though the car was already unlocked.

Then yesterday it took a few pushes of the charge port handle button to get the lock to go down so I could insert the plug. And at the same time the port is not lighting up any color at any time.

I know where the manual release is and how to work it, I'm concerned that if I have to use the manual release it won't let me insert the charger as it's intended as a removal of plug lever.

It is still charging for now, but tomorrow I have a 450 mile trip to get home and I'm hoping to not get stuck at a SC unable to charge since the nearest service center will be about 500 miles in any direction during my trip.

Is my charge port going out? If so is that a part tesla will sell me to replace, or will they be assholes and force me pay for them to replace it?

Or is there something I can test and/or replace to get it working right?

I noticed some weirdness with my Model S charge port with the last firmware version or two. At first, I thought it might be related to the colder weather but now I'm wondering if it is a software issue. Coincidentally, there was mention that the button to the left of the charge port was finally activated a few weeks back. Most people never knew there was a button there. When we were on a road trip earlier in December, there were three occasions when I couldn't plug in at a Supercharger. I tried using the button to the left of the charge port and it retracted the pins and then I was able to plug in as usual.

I noticed some weirdness with my Model S charge port with the last firmware version or two. At first, I thought it might be related to the colder weather but now I'm wondering if it is a software issue. Coincidentally, there was mention that the button to the left of the charge port was finally activated a few weeks back. Most people never knew there was a button there. When we were on a road trip earlier in December, there were three occasions when I couldn't plug in at a Supercharger. I tried using the button to the left of the charge port and it retracted the pins and then I was able to plug in as usual.

I did just get an update a couple days ago, I can't remember it it was being funny before that or not.
Also button? There is a small grey lever/switch on the inside bottom that retracts the lock. I've never seen any button on the side of the port.

I did just get an update a couple days ago, I can't remember it it was being funny before that or not.
Also button? There is a small grey lever/switch on the inside bottom that retracts the lock. I've never seen any button on the side of the port.
upload_2020-12-26_11-50-6.png

Yeah no button there, must be some new fangled hoopla they put in the newer cars I guess.

And update, I made it home fine all 3 SC that I use when I pushed the button on he SC handle it opened the port door like it should but the lock didn't go down. However, I poked my finger in here and pushed the lock and it retracted automatically and then I inserted the charger and it worked fine and removed properly and easily. No lights at all during all charges, but now that I'm home charging at 10A 120v the lock still didn't retract without me pushing it but now my green flashing light is back.

Could the locking mechanism need lubrication of some sort, if so how does one go about doing that safely and what type of lube should I use?

Yeah no button there, must be some new fangled hoopla they put in the newer cars I guess.

And update, I made it home fine all 3 SC that I use when I pushed the button on he SC handle it opened the port door like it should but the lock didn't go down. However, I poked my finger in here and pushed the lock and it retracted automatically and then I inserted the charger and it worked fine and removed properly and easily. No lights at all during all charges, but now that I'm home charging at 10A 120v the lock still didn't retract without me pushing it but now my green flashing light is back.

Could the locking mechanism need lubrication of some sort, if so how does one go about doing that safely and what type of lube should I use?
What year is your S? Our early 2017 has it and both 2016 had it as well. It might've been around since the powered charge port hatch was released.

20201201_072358.jpg

What year is your S? Our early 2017 has it and both 2016 had it as well. It might've been around since the powered charge port hatch was released.

Well how about that it is a button. It looks like a rubber bumper for the automatic door and that's what I always attributed it as.
BTW mines a 2014 P85D

Today I went out here and it's still green and it changed to blue then white like it is supposed to for the unplug process. So I'm not sure WTF is going on with the charge port.

So i think the charge port is about to take a *sugar* on me. every time i get back in my car the screen has the charging screen displayed like it would if you opened the charge port door but the door wasnt opened. And it's getting to like 80% of the time i have to play around with the lock in the port with my finger to get it to go down.
Is this a part i can just get from tesla and DIY? or will they make me pay for them to swap it out? anyone know about pricing for something like this?

Well i went to the SC and they installed a new charge port door. Assholes made me pay $100 for them to install it when i could've done it in my driveway. Apparently its considered a HV part and fall on the restricted parts list. part was only $80.
Its been like a week now and no issues since it was changed out the door and the charger all working like they should be.

I have a different problem related to the charge port. I have a 2015 85D. The charge port door is motorized.

My problem is getting the charge port to unlatch after charging has stopped. The manual says to press the button on the charge handle (it says nothing about the button on the left). When I press the button on the charge handle, nothing happens. I tried using the phone app to unlatch the port, and it works, but almost immediately re-latches. So fast that I can't reach for the handle quickly enough to pull it out.

The only way I can get the port to unlatch is from within the car, using the touchscreen.

BTW - the button on the charge handle works correctly when opening the charge port door, and there is never a problem getting the charge cable to lock in place.

I have a different problem related to the charge port. I have a 2015 85D. The charge port door is motorized.

My problem is getting the charge port to unlatch after charging has stopped. The manual says to press the button on the charge handle (it says nothing about the button on the left). When I press the button on the charge handle, nothing happens. I tried using the phone app to unlatch the port, and it works, but almost immediately re-latches. So fast that I can't reach for the handle quickly enough to pull it out.

The only way I can get the port to unlatch is from within the car, using the touchscreen.

BTW - the button on the charge handle works correctly when opening the charge port door, and there is never a problem getting the charge cable to lock in place.

Mine is motorized to on my 14. There is a manual release button inside the trunk onnje back of the charger. But it sounds like your charge port or the door is going bad also. Have you gotten any errors coming up on the MCU about it?
When you push the botton on the charge cable how long do you hold it? When I go to unplug sometimes I have to hold the button for like 3-5 seconds for it to disengage charging then unlock itself.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Well, this is embarrassing! After writing my complaint yesterday, I tried using the charge handle to unlatch the charge port today. And it worked as intended! Doh!
I don't believe I did anything different from previous tries - but today it worked, twice.
I will monitor and report back if it fails again.
thanks for your interest
Jim Brown

2017 Model X: Last month my charge port failed while crossing the country. Could not get it to latch at the supercharger station and kept getting the orange ring color. Ultimately, mobile service came to me and they replaced the entire charging port (took about 1.5 hours.) The latch mechanism is relay driven and apparently, the relay, or its electronic driver, failed.

Please note that I was able to use a home style charger at a hotel as an interim solution. (A positive lock must occur at a super charger for safety reasons... otherwise, by default the car is going through the low voltage onboard charging system.)

LESSON LEARNED: If you are having trouble with making the cable connect with the car (you have to try 2 or 3 times to insert, or you insert a little extra hard, or you are wiggling the handle to make it work), then have the charge port replaced (especially if under warranty). Once we got the new one - it was the easiest it has EVER been (reliable and easy to insert)... we just did not know any better.

Attachments

• 20210617_115527.jpg
    20210617_115527.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210617_114518.jpg
    20210617_114518.jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 76