Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charge port latch not engaged" only for scheduled charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The change schedule was set leaving at 7AM, so if I plug the cable it won't charge. Today plug in the cable as I did always, it says charge port latch not engaged on APP. I can unplug the cable without unlock the car, that means it is really un latched. But I can manually start the charging on app, it will then start the charging without any problems (the latch is locked while charging). If I stoped the charging from the app. that message "Charge port latch not engaged" appears again.

Reactions: skydve1
It only happens to me sometimes, and only when on scheduled charging. Everything charges fine & works as it should. Like pRibby said, I believe it’s a bug or some sort of new “feature” to prevent the port from locking without actually charging. Who knows lol.

Could this be part of the anti-freezing protocol to keep the plug from being frozen in the charging port, or the latch being frozen in the locked position?

Yes, the original poster is in Canada.

Fyi,. When temperature is cold enough the car stops locking the chargers in. It's how they solved the issue with the lock freezing and people's chargers getting stuck in.

No, my original post is Oct, it is nice weather here in Canada Ontario. I believe it is bug rather than it intended

Maybe it was a bug but nice weather in California is very different from nice weather in Canada. Historical weather data from your area was reading as low as 39°f on October 19 and 37°f on October 18.

This is from the manual:
"In cold ambient temperatures below 41° F (5° C), the charge port (if equipped with early generation charge port hardware) remains unlocked whenever the vehicle is not charging."

So when charging it's locked because the small amount of heat from charging keeps it defrosted and they probably don't want someone pulling it out with hv running. When not charging it stays unlocked like you said.

Last edited:
Reactions: skydve1 and Rocky_H
We're seeing the same thing on my wife's 2019 M3 SR+. Her car is currently on 2022.40.4.1, and we first noticed it on 2022.40.4 about a week ago. We have her car scheduled to start charge at midnight, and the overnight lows have been in the mid-20's - mid-30's for the last few weeks.
TeslaFi also shows "Charge Port Cold Weather Mode On".

Like @ZooSean mentioned, it does latch when the charge starts, and it charges at the full 32a (the max for SR+).
And thanks to @P3dStealth for the reference to the manual.

But for the record, my 2021 MY with FSD Beta 2022.20.19 (10.69.2.4) doesn't do this, or seem to have this 'feature'.

But for the record, my 2021 MY with FSD Beta 2022.20.19 (10.69.2.4) doesn't do this, or seem to have this 'feature'.

There was an update to the charge port. Nobody is really sure what cars have it but the cars with it supposedly have heated chargeports, drain holes, bigger actuators. Your SR3 might have the original and your 2021 Y likely has the update.

There was a thread a while back in the forum of people in Canada that Tesla actually upgraded their ports to the new ones for free.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Mine is doing the same, only for the last 3 weeks or so. I plug it in and get the warning that it is not engaged -- and I don't hear it engage when I plug it in. I have it set to charge at 1AM but can start charging normally any time despite the warning. Apparently it just engages when I start the charging. Just did that again to check it.

Is this the message we are talking about on this thread? I have noticed this the past couple weeks. I'm on 2022.40.4. I was afraid something was wrong with my charging port, but hopefully this is now normal behavior in cold weather when plugged in and charging is scheduled to begin later.

Attachments

• IMG_5625.jpeg
    IMG_5625.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 371
I have the same message when temps dropped to freezing. Port latches when rear window defrost on or charging started. I can't recall which update had notes about this behavior and can't find is in the manual. Submitted a service request to see if normal and inspected port and pins all normal.

I got the same message on the app for my 2018 M3LR yesterday for the first time when I plugged the charger in. I have a wall charger in my garage. Temp was about 45F. The car still charges ok with the scheduled charging or if I manually start charging. The charge cable does not lock like it used to when the car is locked. I dont have to push the button on the connector anymore to pull it out nor do I hear the lock mechanism engage like I used to. I just got a software update the other day.

I called Tesla support and they had me do a reset with the scroll wheels but still no luck. I can just pull out the cable and it does not lock. They said that they did see alerts on the car about the AC power or something but after I did the reset and plugged the charge cable back in they do not see any alerts anymore.

They said I would need to take it into a service center to have them look at it. I had service done on the car 2 years ago and they replaced the charge port insulator pins at that time on their own, I guess it was a bulletin. I have not had an issue with the charge cable until yesterday. Not sure if its due to the new software update I got but if it was I would have thought that phone support would have known that.

I will add that the indicator stays light blue when I get this frozen port message even though its not frozen (about 45f.) It will lock once charging starts OR if defroster on. I am more thinking this is engineered to prevent frozen charging plug in cold weather. Just can't find the lease note.

I will add that the indicator stays light blue when I get this frozen port message even though its not frozen (about 45f.) It will lock once charging starts OR if defroster on. I am more thinking this is engineered to prevent frozen charging plug in cold weather. Just can't find the lease note.
I guess 45F to a developer in California is considered "frozen" ha ha 😆

Reactions: Flybyglass