Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port latch not engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep getting a charge port latch not engaged warning on the app.

The thing is as far as I can tell it is engaged. I.e. it is locked in unless I unlock it. Also, charging seems to work absolutely fine.

That said, if anyone has any similar experience I’m interested to see if I should be doing something about it.

Both car and charger about 2.5yrs old now so I imagine there is some sort of requirement for maintenance.

Attachments

• 0BDD2927-BEB6-46BD-9E35-662B8A68D14C.jpeg
    0BDD2927-BEB6-46BD-9E35-662B8A68D14C.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 1,374
I keep getting a charge port latch not engaged warning on the app.

The thing is as far as I can tell it is engaged. I.e. it is locked in unless I unlock it. Also, charging seems to work absolutely fine.

That said, if anyone has any similar experience I’m interested to see if I should be doing something about it.

Both car and charger about 2.5yrs old now so I imagine there is some sort of requirement for maintenance.
I've had similar but has been fine so just ignored. Only happened in the last 2 weeks or so

Reactions: NigelT
I have had this recently twice. Both times whe. I was near the car and went to set the charging start time on the app. What I figured was hitting the charging button in the app it thought I was looking to un plug so disconnected the latch. Then it warned me it was disconnected. Never seen before. New app feature?

This happenned to me as well and the culprit was a piece of plastic broken apart from the wand itself and got in the charging port. I was getting orange light most of the time home and supercharger all the time given me orange light. I used air pressure can, the one you clean keyboard or computer parts, the plastic stuck in the charging port jumped right out of whereever it got stuck into. I attached photos.

Attachments

• 20220817_162548.jpg
    20220817_162548.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 844
  • 20220817_162533.jpg
    20220817_162533.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 796
This happenned to me as well and the culprit was a piece of plastic broken apart from the wand itself and got in the charging port. I was getting orange light most of the time home and supercharger all the time given me orange light. I used air pressure can, the one you clean keyboard or computer parts, the plastic stuck in the charging port jumped right out of whereever it got stuck into. I attached photos.
The US connector is a different design to that used here (UK&Ireland). I would say the Type 2 used here is much less likely to suffer that kind of damage. However, it’s definitely worth looking out for.

Reactions: Jaydin
It just happen to me yesterday, never had this issue before the recall for the charging port latch. Someone said it is a new feature to avoid freezing in the winter like here in Canada, but I have to verify this with the service center.

It's been happening to me intermittently as well. I had Tesla mobile service come by twice but they had the wrong part both times. I am now just waiting to see if it happens again and if it does to try switching out the official Tesla J1772 adapter that I use to see if that's the issue since the technician really thinks that could be the issue or the charging equipment could be the issue instead of being the charge port latch motor starting to go bad. Which is what I'm afraid of what they should be since my car is about 3 and 1/2 years old.

I get this warning on the app almost every day for the last two weeks. clears after a couple of minutes. I assume it is a bug..

Its a shame I think 'bug' before even investigating properly, I wonder why I think this way now...................................

For the people having the problem, when you plug in, what color light do you see and do you hear the sound of the latch locking the plug in place? For me, my charge light stays white and I don't hear the locking sound, but the app shows that I plugged in, and shows the warning.
I don't have a fault but occasionally my wife does not push the type II plug in far enough and yes this is what I see.

Okay, that's what I originally thought the issue was but I've tried replugging it in a few times and it doesn't work. It seems to work after a day or so.
Yes, we're actually talking about completely different designs of connectors ... the UK version socket is a much larger item which includes CCS charging pins combined with Type II. The latching pins may well be a bit different too.

• Informative
Reactions: GargantulaKon
Was getting this warning as well. It does NOT latch on when I plug in (in this case mobile charger), but as soon as I press "Start charging" it does latch and stay latched (color is blue and can't pull the plug out). After that if I unlock the port from the app, it does unlatch. If I plug back in right away it does latch on. Go figure... Does Tesla know themselves how their latching mechanism work or what?

Reactions: GargantulaKon
Was getting this warning as well. It does NOT latch on when I plug in (in this case mobile charger), but as soon as I press "Start charging" it does latch and stay latched (color is blue and can't pull the plug out). After that if I unlock the port from the app, it does unlatch. If I plug back in right away it does latch on. Go figure... Does Tesla know themselves how their latching mechanism work or what?
I have the exact same issue. Latch works fine, but doesn't latch when I first plug it in (and gives me an error in the app). As soon as I manually start charging, it latches. idk.

Edit: just noticed this is the UK section.

I had my charge port replaced by Tesla and I'm still getting this issue. It took them three attempts to fix it so it's annoying that I went through all that effort for nothing. The first two were mobile visits and the second time they force me to go to the service center and wait for about 2 hours. I really think it is a software bug.