Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port latch not engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my charge port replaced by Tesla and I'm still getting this issue. It took them three attempts to fix it so it's annoying that I went through all that effort for nothing. The first two were mobile visits and the second time they force me to go to the service center and wait for about 2 hours. I really think it is a software bug.

I’ve never had any issues and it’s charging fine. I agree it’s the newest app update.

I wish this was the extent of my problems. Last week I started getting messages that my charge port required service, and it sometimes thought a faulty power source was attached when nothing was connected. But it cleared after a good defrost. I raised a ticket with Tesla anyway because I had feeling this wasn't going to resolve itself.

Anyway, fast forward to today and the error message is no longer going away; I literally can't charge the car anymore. It's currently sitting on my drive with 9% (1% usable), and a ranger is coming out to see it today. It ruined my weekend plans. I had to borrow an ICE ('03 Accord :eek:) and ended up spending nearly £60 on trips I wouldn't break a tenner for!

I have a service center appointment for this tomorrow. Brand new car. If I “jiggle” The manual release I can make it engage sometimes. Seems like a fault to me
What do you mean by jiggle the manual release? What are you jiggling? I tried jiggling the cable while it was connected but it didn't work. I'm using a j1772 EVSE with the Tesla adapter.

I wish this was the extent of my problems. Last week I started getting messages that my charge port required service, and it sometimes thought a faulty power source was attached when nothing was connected. But it cleared after a good defrost. I raised a ticket with Tesla anyway because I had feeling this wasn't going to resolve itself.

Anyway, fast forward to today and the error message is no longer going away; I literally can't charge the car anymore. It's currently sitting on my drive with 9% (1% usable), and a ranger is coming out to see it today. It ruined my weekend plans. I had to borrow an ICE ('03 Accord :eek:) and ended up spending nearly £60 on trips I wouldn't break a tenner for!
It definitely sounds like more of a serious problem than the other issues have seen so far. How old is your car and what model is it? Every time I have to drive my wife's plug-in hybrid, I'm also cringing at using gas at the current prices vs electric.

What do you mean by jiggle the manual release? What are you jiggling? I tried jiggling the cable while it was connected but it didn't work. I'm using a j1772 EVSE with the Tesla adapter.
My 2023 model has a string with plastic handle inside the boot which is described as a 'manual release' or similar. My 2019 didnt as far as I remember.... though I never had a problem so not sure.

My 2023 model has a string with plastic handle inside the boot which is described as a 'manual release' or similar. My 2019 didnt as far as I remember.... though I never had a problem so not sure.
My 2020 SR+ has the manual release.

It definitely sounds like more of a serious problem than the other issues have seen so far. How old is your car and what model is it? Every time I have to drive my wife's plug-in hybrid, I'm also cringing at using gas at the current prices vs electric.
Turns out it was a loose earth connection for the charge port. No idea how that happened but my guess is the last time they changed the port they didn’t use the right torque on the bolt, and the change in temperature must’ve loosened it.

Tightening that bolt effectively cost me £60!

• Informative
Reactions: GargantulaKon
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I tried jiggling that before, but it didn't work for me. I'll try again.
I just started having this issue. I tried the manual release cable and then I started hearing the latch motor doing things. The car made me unplug and plug back in, but it still didn't work. Then I nudged the connector sideways and suddenly it engaged. I am wondering whether I need to spray some WD-40 on something. There has been a lot of rain here lately, and I charge it out in the rain.

• Helpful
I just started having this issue. I tried the manual release cable and then I started hearing the latch motor doing things. The car made me unplug and plug back in, but it still didn't work. Then I nudged the connector sideways and suddenly it engaged. I am wondering whether I need to spray some WD-40 on something. There has been a lot of rain here lately, and I charge it out in the rain.
what brand of charger is it? Taking a file to the plug and making the latching hole a little larger or smoothing off the edges of it can help so I hear.

Edit
just realised you are in the US. So the above probably does not apply. This is a UK sub forum thread so it was a UK based answer. You might be better off on a US forum since our charging plugs and issues are completely different

Be wary of WD40 getting onto the contacts themselves. It tends to allow dust and grit to stick to them. It would be unlikely to cause any immediate issue but this could wear the contact surfaces over a period of time. If you get some overspray then use electrical contact cleaner on the actual contacts and wipe with long cotton bud. (My car is plugged in outside all the time ... rain, snow whatever ... it hasn't been a problem and this is my fourth winter with the car ... however, as has been pointed out above, our connectors are a different design so I've no idea how it specifically affects yours.)

Be wary of WD40 getting onto the contacts themselves. It tends to allow dust and grit to stick to them. It would be unlikely to cause any immediate issue but this could wear the contact surfaces over a period of time. If you get some overspray then use electrical contact cleaner on the actual contacts and wipe with long cotton bud. (My car is plugged in outside all the time ... rain, snow whatever ... it hasn't been a problem and this is my fourth winter with the car ... however, as has been pointed out above, our connectors are a different design so I've no idea how it specifically affects yours.)
He is from California they are not used to rain it confuses them 😁( as the performance of the California designed windscreen wipers shows)
I only realised he was not local when I read "There has been a lot of rain here lately". I mean who from the UK would write that. Its a given!! 🤣

He is from California they are not used to rain it confuses them 😁( as the performance of the California designed windscreen wipers shows)
I only realised he was not local when I read "There has been a lot of rain here lately". I mean who from the UK would write that. Its a given!! 🤣
To be fair I think he's entitled to refer to a lot of rain lately ... I doubt the UK has ever had the level of disastrous flooding that's been affecting California this year! o_O:eek:

Just had this happen today. Just got home from a longish road trip where I supercharged 2 times today, including one really quick stop 30 minutes from home. Both times it latched normally.

As some others, my experience is that the light stays white and the latch doesn't attempt to engage, but if I manually start charging it works fine, and I suspect, when scheduled charging starts at midnight, it will also work fine but have not verified yet.

Totally seems like a software bug to me.

• Helpful
I've had this notifaction after plugging in but now I make a point of lining up the charger and making sure I push it in firmly, and quicly, all the way home. Still get the notifaction from time to time, but it always charges correctly.
I assume it's a software bug because when checking on the app it says it will start charging at 12:30...

Reactions: DS369