Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charge port latch not engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Brand new MYLR, this is the first time plugging in to charge, and it won't charge with error "charge port latch not engaged". The T light flashing amber.

The charger is the one I use with my model 3, which I have had for 3 years. It does feel loose when I insert it - the model 3 it locks in.

Any work arounds? Does Model Y use a different charger?

Attachments

• IMG_4474.JPG
    IMG_4474.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_4473.PNG
    IMG_4473.PNG
    685.8 KB · Views: 251
Found the answer in the forums.

Both the charge pins “tips” in my Model 3 have broken off and are lodged inside the charger wand. It doesn’t effect the model 3, but it stopped the wand being fully inserted into the Model 3.

Thanks again to this forums I would never have spotted that and would have wasted a trip to the service center.

Photo shows missing black tips.

Attachments

• 7CF1F5AA-0F12-4FDF-8BE8-43FEC6FAE48F.png
    7CF1F5AA-0F12-4FDF-8BE8-43FEC6FAE48F.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 248
Found the answer in the forums.

Both the charge pins “tips” in my Model 3 have broken off and are lodged inside the charger wand. It doesn’t effect the model 3, but it stopped the wand being fully inserted into the Model 3.

Thanks again to this forums I would never have spotted that and would have wasted a trip to the service center.

Photo shows missing black tips.
Tesla service bulletin. Booked mobile repair for next week.

Same exact issue except my Gen 1 charges my x perfectly but not my y.
Did they fix the Gen 1 charger or just replace the tips on your older Model 3. Seems like the main issue is the Gen 1 charger since my X chargers fine with any charger I use.

Same exact issue except my Gen 1 charges my x perfectly but not my y.
Did they fix the Gen 1 charger or just replace the tips on your older Model 3. Seems like the main issue is the Gen 1 charger since my X chargers fine with any charger I use.
They replaced both the tips in Model 3 car charge port and replaced the charger cable.

They didn't even consider repairing the old one.