Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port light won’t change to dark blue, stuck on light blue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChrisH

Jun 4, 2013
Milton, wa
Hello all.

I’m surprised I couldn’t find anything on this by searching (maybe my search skills are poor).

Anyway...has anyone had a problem where the charge port door opens, the light blue light T logo illuminates, you put the charge cable/handle in to the port and the light just stays light blue? Usually it clicks and locks in and the light changes to a dark blue but I can just easily pull the charge handle out without pushing the button or anything and the light stays light blue.

Car still seems to charge (at home at least) but I’m curious what is going on here. Over the past few weeks I had noticed that it was taking longer for the click and dark blue light to show up but last week it clicked and showed up quickly. However, plugged in tonight and it’s still light blue after 30 minutes (car usually turns the logo light off after a bit). Car locked like normal after walking away but T logo light is staying illuminated.

Any ideas what could be going on here?

thanks!

Are you setup for scheduled charging?

... and what’s the temperature outside?

Model 3 doesn’t “lock” the cable in when it’s approaching or below freezing temperatures. This is to prevent the possibility of it getting stuck.

My guess is a) you use scheduled charging and b) it’s below about 42 degrees. How close am I? :)

Are you setup for scheduled charging?

... and what’s the temperature outside?

Model 3 doesn’t “lock” the cable in when it’s approaching or below freezing temperatures. This is to prevent the possibility of it getting stuck.

My guess is a) you use scheduled charging and b) it’s below about 42 degrees. How close am I? :)

Oooh this seems like a solid answer. It’s been pretty cold here lately (for WA). The car is garaged at home but it’s probably in the low to mid 40s in the garage lately. And yea, I set it to start charging at 330am but it should only set itself to charge if it’s below my charge amount target right? Lol

Does that explain why the light blue light doesn’t turn off like normal though (was still on after 30 minutes parked and the doors locked/mirrors folded)?

Last edited:
Oooh this seems like a solid answer. It’s been pretty cold here lately (for WA). The car is garaged at home but it’s probably in the low to mid 40s in the garage lately. And yea, I set it to start charging at 330am but it should only set itself to charge if it’s below my charge amount target right? Lol

Does that explain why the light blue light doesn’t turn off like normal though (was still on after 30 minutes parked and the doors locked/mirrors folded)?

You got it! Right on all counts.
If you didn’t have scheduled charging, it’d go from dark blue to green right away. Instead you’re getting the “hey I’m ready to charge” light blue. And yes - it stays unlocked starting somewhere in the low 40s.

If your current charge is above what you set it to, correct, it won’t do anything. But keep in mind the car’s constantly doing “something”. Whether that’s sentry mode, or running heating/cooling, or whatever. So just because you park at, say, 68% - by the time it’s scheduled to charge, it may be down to 67 or 66. All totally normal.

So the net net is ... all is good!

Reactions: ChrisH