Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port makes 4 clicks when opening before pin retracts...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Every time I open the port to charge, it clicks 4 times before the pin on the bottom retracts and I get the white ring. So I can charge fine but I don't remember hearing this before. It's always exactly 4 clicks. If it was some sort of sticking issue, you'd think the number of clicks would vary.

I have a brand new sealed charge port I bought a few years ago just in case I ever get stranded because of a failed port but not ready to install it quite yet if it turns out this is not a real issue.

I'm still on V8.1..at least until next week when I do the MCU2 upgrade.

Maybe this?

calvinengsci_98364951Posted December 2018
Update on Dec. 6, 2018 Posting: My current firmware is 2018.49.12.1. I had mobile service twice since posting on Dec. 6, 2018. They took care of all problems (minor) except for the clicking on the charging port. The service tech explained that the clicking is related to a "cold weather feature". He explained that the charge port has a solenoid which turns on and off creating the ticking sound. This is designed to make sure that the charge port does not freeze . According to the tech, the ticking is enabled by the computer right around 8C (46F). It has been below 8C for the entire month and I have no way to confirm what he says until it gets warmer. I will post an update if I learn anything more or when the weather gets warmer.

Interesting. I wonder if it's this feature being enabled by a faulty temperature sensor or something. It's 70F in my garage and 61F outside.

Besides that, I think I read about this firmware but it's from the last year or so. I'm still on V8.1 from 3 years ago.

What was the final resolution on this issue?
Mine started doing this a few weeks ago, shortly before I received an error for the charge port door sensor. Now the door doesn’t work right, always thinks it’s open even when it’s not. Have a service appointment next week to get it looked at.

Do you park outside by chance? Apparently this is a somewhat common problem because water intrudes into the charge port door and pools around the sensor/electronics. Thinking all the rain we had in December made mine fail.

What was the final resolution on this issue?

Charge port door. There's a sensor in the door that detects when it is open and it progressively failed until would no longer charge. I did not get a door sensor error so I thought it was the charge port. So I installed a new port, installed the staged next version of software which did not fix the issue.

I then replaced the door ($85) which fixed the issue and it's been fine ever since.

Mine started doing this a few weeks ago, shortly before I received an error for the charge port door sensor. Now the door doesn’t work right, always thinks it’s open even when it’s not. Have a service appointment next week to get it looked at.

Do you park outside by chance? Apparently this is a somewhat common problem because water intrudes into the charge port door and pools around the sensor/electronics. Thinking all the rain we had in December made mine fail.

Mine has always been garaged.

Charge port door. There's a sensor in the door that detects when it is open and it progressively failed until would no longer charge. I did not get a door sensor error so I thought it was the charge port. So I installed a new port, installed the staged next version of software which did not fix the issue.

I then replaced the door ($85) which fixed the issue and it's been fine ever since.
Hi mate I have this issue on my 2017 uk spec model x P100D, when I plug the granny charger in, it keeps making a clicking sound and I checked the screen and can see the charge port was showing as locked then unlocked everything it clicked, it looks like the lock that locks the charger is clicking in and out of the charger and then after a few clicks it turns red....I'm on 19% and need to get this issue sorted so I can get a charge on it. It was working 2 weeks ago but car has been parked, no v12 warnings