Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port not Latched

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I found a new failure mode, and I have no idea what I can do to fix it. I plugged the car into the usual 240 V outlet, and the lights surrounding the socket turned orange. Inside the car, a message said "Charge Port latch not engaged." Eventually it started charging but at a much reduced rate.

Have you ever seen this message? What can I do about it?

I have a 2015 Model S. No previous issues with charging.

Could it be caused by a bit of water in the catch? I just went out to see if I could get it working, and noticed that there was some water around the catch. I dried it off, and now the car is charging?
I would be surprised if such a small bit of water would prevent the catch from latching.

If the problem becomes recurring, previous posts indicate it can be caused by either be a charger port failure, or failure of the mobile connector cable. If it is cold, which it likely is in your area, an icy port could cause this. From Tesla, " A frozen charge port will allow AC charging at lower rates with a blinking amber indicator."

Today I found a new failure mode, and I have no idea what I can do to fix it. I plugged the car into the usual 240 V outlet, and the lights surrounding the socket turned orange. Inside the car, a message said "Charge Port latch not engaged." Eventually it started charging but at a much reduced rate.

Have you ever seen this message? What can I do about it?
Yep, seen it a couple of times. I have a 2014, so similar vintage as yours.
Those indicators (port not latched message, orange lights, and reduced amps) are indicating that the latching pin is hitting something and not able to full engage up into the little notch in the charging handle. So it knows it's not fully, securely plugged in and uses reduced amps to be safer.

So the couple times I had this was basically user error--I was a little weak or lazy about how I pushed the plug in, and didn't use enough force to get it seated all the way in there, and the locking pin wouldn't line up with the notch. I saw the orange and reduced amps, so I removed the plug and gave it a little more force to get it all the way in there, and it was fine.

This can also sometimes come up over time if you accumulate a little bit of dirt around the edges of the plug or port, where they are scraping a bit and not sliding in as easily, so it leads to it sticking some and not getting all the way in. So maybe wipe them down to get dirt off.

So the couple times I had this was basically user error--I was a little weak or lazy about how I pushed the plug in, and didn't use enough force to get it seated all the way in there, and the locking pin wouldn't line up with the notch. I saw the orange and reduced amps, so I removed the plug and gave it a little more force to get it all the way in there, and it was fine.

The exact same thing happened to me for the first time just last weekend. Seems to be user error here as well as it has not reoccurred, but worth checking the port and connector for debris.

This happenned to me as well and the culprit was a piece of plastic broken apart from the wand itself and got in the charging port. I was getting orange light most of the time home and supercharger all the time given me orange light. I used air pressure can, the one you clean keyboard or computer parts, the plastic stuck in the charging port jumped right out of whereever it got stuck into. I attached photos.

Attachments

• 20220817_162548.jpg
    20220817_162548.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 20220817_162533.jpg
    20220817_162533.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 114