Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port not opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model Y about a month ago and have already put over 3000 miles on it, it’s been a blast to drive!

I noticed very early that my charge port won’t open most of the time when I press the button on the charge handle. I’m wondering if this is normal, or if I may have a bad charge port I should contact my SC about.

The problem started immediately after my first drive when taking delivery. I drove to the supercharger by my house just to verify it charged without issues. I backed into the spot, put the car in park, got out, grabbed the handle and pressed the button on it. Nothing happened no matter how many times or how long I pressed the button. I just assumed it may be a broken handle, tapped the charge port, and went on my merry way. The next time I noticed was after I got home, my UMC had the same issue. After about 15 seconds though, the door sprang to life. 60 charges later across multiple destination and super chargers, plus two software updates, the issue persists. I’m at the point I think I have faulty hardware, or i took delivery when there’s issues with software in general. I swear that over the hundreds of hours of YouTube videos I watched I never saw this issue.

So my question, is this normal? If not normal, are the symptoms normal for the current firmware versions? It isn’t critical, but it is one of those cool features I wished worked. I’d like to get my SC to fix this if I’m alone.
Thanks!

Edit: adding a video. Of course it took 4 attempts to repeat the issue. I’ve never seen it work so reliably until I go to reproduce the issue on video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deutsch100
Just a heads up, about 50% of the time, the supercharger handle and UMC does not open my charge port, and I have manually open it via pushing on the flap. I brought this up with the local service center (possible bad charge port) and after diagnosis (they have 2 superchargers onsite), they said there's nothing wrong with the chargeport.

It turns out that some of the supercharger handles are "broken" and are no longer sending the signal to the charging port. This may be the case for you as well. If you're going to the superchargers, check multiple stalls to see if the flap opens or not. It may be an isolated issue with specific stalls. If it is indeed the supercharger stalls, let your local service center know exactly which location/stalls so they can contact the Tesla Energy people internally so they can go out and swap the connectors on the superchargers.

I was also told by the service center that you need to be within 2-3 inches of the charge port for the radio signal to work. And indeed getting closer and holding the button down longer helped for me.

Just a heads up, about 50% of the time, the supercharger handle and UMC does not open my charge port, and I have manually open it via pushing on the flap. I brought this up with the local service center (possible bad charge port) and after diagnosis (they have 2 superchargers onsite), they said there's nothing wrong with the chargeport.

It turns out that some of the supercharger handles are "broken" and are no longer sending the signal to the charging port. This may be the case for you as well. If you're going to the superchargers, check multiple stalls to see if the flap opens or not. It may be an isolated issue with specific stalls. If it is indeed the supercharger stalls, let your local service center know exactly which location/stalls so they can contact the Tesla Energy people internally so they can go out and swap the connectors on the superchargers.

I was also told by the service center that you need to be within 2-3 inches of the charge port for the radio signal to work. And indeed getting closer and holding the button down longer helped for me.
Thanks for the info! Yeah I definitely figured it was either broken superchargers or user error, but it just seems so consistent across chargers that it feels like a software issue. For example, I found that it takes about the same amount of time before the door eventually opens on its own through testing last night and today. It's almost always 10-15 seconds, then it opens up with the handle directly in front about 8" away. If I hadn't driven it across the state twice and hit so many super chargers (I think I've gone to 10 now, mostly all V3), I'd totally just assume it was coincidence. The issue in my head though is that this is like 100% of the time. At least it was 100% of the time until I tried to replicate the issue for video last night (again, go figure).

I have had my new Model Y about 2 weeks now. Whether charging at home (or the 1 time I used a Tesla Supercharger), when I push the button on the actual charge head, my charge port flap unlocks, but my problem is about 50% of the time the flap will not automatically go up all the way. I have to pull it up with my finger. It closes on its own just fine, and the charge port is flush with the car (no misalignment issue).

I sprayed some WD-40 around the flap hinge, and this makes the flap open perfectly on its own, but it only lasts a few days. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

I have had my new Model Y about 2 weeks now. Whether charging at home (or the 1 time I used a Tesla Supercharger), when I push the button on the actual charge head, my charge port flap unlocks, but my problem is about 50% of the time the flap will not automatically go up all the way. I have to pull it up with my finger. It closes on its own just fine, and the charge port is flush with the car (no misalignment issue).

I sprayed some WD-40 around the flap hinge, and this makes the flap open perfectly on its own, but it only lasts a few days. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.
Just make a service appointment and get it replaced. Its a 20 minute service ranger visit.

Reactions: Deutsch100