Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charge Port Open" but it isn't

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

madodel

X at the end of a rainbow
Supporting Member
Had my X in to the Springfield NJ service center last week to replace the third row seats. While it was there they did a few other things like replace the front door quarter panel glass seals and apparently they updated the firmware to 2.17.95. After they returned my X I charged it at a Supercharger and the dash and tablet kept saying the charger port was open even when it is closed. I reset the dash and tablet twice and still it says the charge port is open. I'll call Springfield on Monday, but has anyone else seen this?

IMG_1754.JPG
IMG_1755.JPG

Had my X in to the Springfield NJ service center last week to replace the third row seats. While it was there they did a few other things like replace the front door quarter panel glass seals and apparently they updated the firmware to 2.17.95. After they returned my X I charged it at a Supercharger and the dash and tablet kept saying the charger port was open even when it is closed. I reset the dash and tablet twice and still it says the charge port is open. I'll call Springfield on Monday, but has anyone else seen this?

View attachment 176725 View attachment 176726

I had a similar problem which the Service Center fixed by replacing the charge port door. Mine also kept opening the charge port door when the car was locked (bad X! Shame!).

I had a similar problem which the Service Center fixed by replacing the charge port door. Mine also kept opening the charge port door when the car was locked (bad X! Shame!).
Apparently the same problem used to occur on the S. Made an appointment in 2 weeks to have it looked at. I'm going to be away for over a week and getting my X wrapped and coated while I'm away , so it has to wait.

The problem with My Model X indicating the charger port was open when it wasn't stated after a software update about a month ago. Didn't have the problem prior to the upgrade. I mentioned it when I took my car in for the third row seat safety recall. They replaced the charger port mechanism. It was a know problem.

Does the charge port on the X auto-close like it does on the Model S? I recall earlier posts that it was missing from the features at launch, but would be added via software update?
AFAIK it has always closed, it was opening using the button on the charge cable that wasn't available. That works now as it was added with one of the OTA updates.

I was also getting this "Charge Port Open" message with the door shut for the last couple of months on my out-of-warranty MS85 2013. Sometimes it was showing up while driving. Lately, it was almost permanent. It was likely related to some rust on the ring around the magnet but my previous attempts to clean it with steel wool didn't make the trick, so I finally resorted to use a flat screw-driver to scrape off everything to the metal, and it now seems to be OK. So the "sensor" people are talking about in other posts might just be a good electric contact, at least on the 2013 version.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel