Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port open warning... Gone?! Charge port on car - no lights.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So, when I got to work today, I found my charge port open... And thought, isn't there a warning for that?
i distinctly remember a text warning and image of the car with an arrow...

Mostly because I forget to close it a lot.
So I tested it when I got home. Opened the charge port, put it in D. No warning. No messages. Ok... So... The sensor is broken?

anyway, when. I went out to my car tonight I also noticed, the lights around the charge port... Or lack there of. No green lights, no blue, no white. I don't even remember when they worked last, but doesn't this thing light up?!

between the alignment, non working door handle, charging at 30 amps vs. 40 and now this... I'm starting to become annoyed...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    779.5 KB · Views: 545
The lights turn off after a short time (I know you know this). If they don't turn on when the handle presents, first do a reboot, and if that doesn't fix it, call the service centre.

All I remember seeing is the car with the charge port door icon. And I saw it two days ago (6.1). Although the behaviour could change in 6.2, I'd have to see it to believe it.

One thing I learned when I had my malfunctioning charge port lock a couple of weeks ago was that Tesla has the ability to reset/reboot the charging system/port remotely (at least on my newer Model S). I would call Tesla and describe the issue and see if they can fix it remotely.

Mike

I heard a rumor the D can auto close it.

Also, for no logical reason I can find, my lights are back! As is the warning. All in the last 5 min.

I pulled out of my garage, no warnings or lights on the chage port. Sure enough side view mirror shows... I left the stupid thing open. Maybe it's because my iPhone doesn't have a port cover? No idea. I always seem to forget. And I got out and closed it.

went to the grocery store. Never got out of the car.

Got home. Was on the control screen and opened the port. It showed as open on the screen!

i put it in drive, and it yelled at me!

i plugged in the charger and got white, blue and green lights!

so... It works now apparently? Still on 6.1.

SO why doesnt the charge port blink green until charging complete? this would let others know you are actively charging. right now it goes off after a few min which is not like every other EV out there, so people think car is finished charging and pull the plug.

SO why doesnt the charge port blink green until charging complete? this would let others know you are actively charging. right now it goes off after a few min which is not like every other EV out there, so people think car is finished charging and pull the plug.
The reason is so that it won't attract the wrong kind of attention. As an example, my car is normally parked outside and I'd rather not have it blink all the time.